Thread: 2 XP issues. Please help.

2 XP issues. Please help.

1. New machine. New XP install. All updates. RegMech and OneCare Live scanners run. When right clicked on the Desktop, Properties, all tabs work fine EXCEPT the DESKTOP tab. When clicked, the DLL locks up. I have to kill it in ProceEXP (task manager). Every time. Zero registry issues. No fragmentation.
    If I find a pic and right click, set as Desktop, no problems with the process.

2. Old machine. The one that died, and replaced with new machine. Reloaded XP, all updates. But...no driver for RAID. Its a Highpoint RAID I assume, on an old Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum. I wiped the drive. I didnt realize that Soyo shut down and I cannot get access to an OEM driver. Anybody got one or a workaround?

Thanks in advance.
    B

Re: 2 XP issues. Please help.

FYI. Its High Point HP372 RAID Driver Im looking for...

Well, it seems to me that it is a virus issue that you are facing. So first do some research by following the below method:

1. Download this file - combofix.exe
    2. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
    3. When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply

Will try that. But so you know...

It was a Virgin install on a wiped drive and updated bios. Only internet that was seen was installing Java, Adobe Flash and downloading AVG AV. Hard to get a virus on a 20 minute old install....

As for the RAID issue on the older machine....I disabled the on board RAID option in the bios and now I dont get need a driver notification in XP. I dont use RAID...all is well there.

Will post results later...

Thanks for your help so far.

Twas the old loading a million pics from My PICTURES folder killing the application. Did the trick to remove them by changing folder names in the registry. The application would hang when loading....it would eventually pop up, (but I never waited that long). When I finally let it run, I noticed all my pics were listed...That was the big clue to the required fix.

Thanks all.