Thread: Problem in connecting to usb0 through linux

Problem in connecting to usb0 through linux

Hello friends, I have a computer system at my home with linux operating system on it. Recently I had heard about connecting to the other computer system that also has linux as a operating system on it using the usb0. So the question is can any help me to know how we can make this possible and what would be the range of this usb0 to connect computers so that they can exchange information.

Re: Problem while connecting to usb0 to linux

Hey yes you have heard correctly now you can connect to the other computers system by just using a usb. You wont require any cable or wire for connecting to the other computers as you usually required while connecting to LAN. The usb0 is a specially designed for LAN connection between the various computers that has a linux operating system on it. More ever you will be connect it to other computers within a range of a building using this device. This is really a good news for all the users of the linux operating system as they can share any kind of information easily without wasting time in connecting and at a very less cost. Well as far as the connection is concerned I haven't use it so I wont be able to tell you precisely about hoew to make the connection. I hope you will get some more information about this in the next post.

Re: Problem in connecting to usb0 through linux

If you want to connect two computers using usb0 which are having linux operating system on it, then you can follow this approach.
    First connect the usb0 device and configure it connected configure
    sudo ip address add 192.168.0.200/24 dev usb0
    sudo ip link set dev usb0 up
    or
    sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    If your eth0 interface is also in the same 'range' (e.g. 192.168.0.105) then you can do the following:
    sudo route add -host 192.168.0.202 dev usb0
    After using this you will be able to connect to other computers uisng this device. Also it is best recommended to use Linux distributions like Fedora, SuSE, Red Hat and Debian operating system for network configurations.

Hey you can also use this approach to connect to other computer using the usb0
    Consider the following statements carefully
    You might be tempted to use ip addr add 192.168.0.200/28 dev usb0 if your Internet connection is also in the range 192.168.0.x
    Else if not then you can use.
    • iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24
    • sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
    • ip addr add 192.168.0.200/24 dev usb0

The above statements will map the internet form 192.168.0.192 to 192.168.0.207 onto usb0. This will help in connecting to other computer system.

Hey I have got some problem while connecting to other computers which are having linux operating system on it using the usb0. I have tried all the approaches that have mentioned in the above post as well as from the internet. But I am not able to connect to the other system. Whenever I try to connect it to the other computers through "ifup"/"ipdown" I receive the following error message :
    • linux:~ # ifup usb0
    • usb0
    • No configuration found for usb0

So can any one help me to know how to solve this problem.

Hey if you are getting the errors while connecting to other computer system than I would reckon you to use the following. Firstly make sure that you have double-check that your FreeRunner is turned on and connected by USB. Also make sure that the uhci_hcd module is loaded on your PC. After checking this, if again you are facing with the same problem then try unplugging and replugging the USB. After this you have to make sure you enable ARP proxy on internet facing interface INSTEAD of using iptables:
    sysctl net.ipv4.conf.eth2.proxy_arp=1
    This assuming that eth2 is connected to ISP.
    Then type
    ip link set usb0 up
    Finally,
    ssh root@192.168.0.202