Thread: LINUX: Can Sony Ericsson W508a used as a modem

LINUX: Can Sony Ericsson W508a used as a modem

I have the Sony Ericsson W508a with me and the thing is that I can use the same in such a manner that it can be used as a Modem but that can be done by me only when I am in the Windows mode but when u try to do the same in the LINUX I have seen that I can not have that done on the system that I am having. I have the Kubuntu 9.10 and I will love if some one can come up here with some n\valuable suggestions on the same. Regarding the Windows then I have the Windows 7. In addition to all the things I just want to say that I was suggested something from the other forums and when I did that I have seen that the cell phone now can not be used as a modem in the Windows mode also. I will be really happy if you all can help me in both of the scenarios. Thanks in advance.

Re: LINUX: Can Sony Ericsson W508a used as a modem

Well you have not specified the way by which you connect to the system. I have seen that most of the users try to connect to the system by making use of the Bluetooth. Well if at all you are doing the same thing then I would simply suggest you to try to go with the USB and I am sure that after that you will be able to get back the mobile phone work as the modem. Well however you were able to get the thing before but I would this time simply suggest you to go with the thing that I have suggested at the moment. Please try doing that and I am sure that you will be able to get through your problem.

Yes I have even seen a lot of issue with the BLUETOOTH that Elies has suggested. I think that you will be required to have a proper look at the same so that you can be out of the problem that you are having right now with the phone. Just see the steps below and see if you have missed on something. First of all please check the strength of the signal. See the bars of the signal that are present at the top left corner. If at all you see that the connection on the network is low then make sure that you have that on the right track. For that if you want you can go into the Network Trouble Shooting and try to solve the problem from there. Also please check if you have paired both the devices that you are trying to connect. Hope that you will be able to find some thing that can help you in the matter

Well I have never found trouble with the SE K800i that I have. I have seen that it is serving me well and with fewer issues. To have the things in the proper manner all I have to do is install the Bluez and wicd or network-manager-gnome and then add them as a panel option. After that I will be required to double click on the Bluez and then it will hunt for the phone that I am having. I think that you can make use of the same here so that you can have the mobile phone detected here. Well try this and let me know if that helped you in making any difference.

I have no idea regarding the KUBUNTU and hence cannot tell anything that is related between Sony Ericsson W508a and Kubuntu. Well in addition to that if you ask me regarding any other LINUX distribution then let me tell you that I have seen that on Fedora12 the Sony Ericsson W508a works well. In order to have assisted you will be required to have Network Manager. I have used the same and hence I think that by using Fedora 12 you will be able to use the Sony Ericsson W508a as a modem. Well for that to work properly you will be required to have some of the details ready with you. You will be required to be ready with the following details. At the time of configuring you be required to give APN then the dial in number along with that the user name and password. I am sure that you will be having all the details and if not then you can ask the ISP of yours to provide you with the details. Well I think that you should give this a try and it is for sure to run.

Thanks a lot for all the advice that you all have given me and I think that I will have to try the USB one for me. Well yes you all were right and you all guessed it well. I was using the BLUETOOTH in order to use the Sony Ericsson W508a as the modem and now as I have the USB option I think that it can be given a chance. Well I also want to say that the idea of using the Fedora is not at all bad, but I will try that after the USB cable. I will be really happy if you can assist me with the step by step process of dealing with configuring the Sony Ericsson W508a when going with the Fedora 12.