Thread: Problem running Android emulator on Arch Linux

Problem running Android emulator on Arch Linux

Hello friends I have a Arch Linux operating system on my computer system and recently I tried to install the Android emulator on it for just to test whether it works or not. Although I did manage to install the emulator on the computer system that is having Arch Linux on it, but the problem is that the binary files which are included in the Android under the tools directory cannot be ran on my computer. So can some one who has previously installed this two on one system or with some knowledge about this suggest me what should I do to overcome this problem.

Re: Problem running Android emulator on Arch Linux

Hey first of all which bit version Arch Linux have you installed on your computer system.? Also have you tried using the ADT eclipse plugin that works well with the Android . What is the error that it is giving when you are trying to access the Android? Also if it is not working on your system that has Arch Linux then you should probably try to install the Android emulator on some other kind of operating system mostly ubuntu as it is designed to work with every kind of emulator.

I think that Arch Linux operating system doesn’t support the Android Emulator, as Arch Linux is mostly designed for the simplicity purpose from the user point of view. The design approach of the development team focuses on simplicity, elegance, code correctness and less complexity. This is developed by keeping in mind the users requirements who are not comfortable using the command line for accessing the Linux. So I guess that due to its simplicity the Arch Linux operating system doesn’t support the Android emulator.

Thanks for the quick reply but I guess that The Arch Linux should handle the Android emulator because if it didn’t it wouldn’t have got installed in my computer system. The only problem I am getting is that when I try to Access the Android the tools directory using the emulator by issuing ./emulator command, the emulator tells me that no such file or directory is found. Also, I would lie to inform you that I have used the ADT eclipse plugin, but still I am getting the same error. So can anyone help me resolve this problem quickly. I am using 64- bit Arch Linux operating system

Hey you can use this steps to successfully load the Android emulator if you are facing any problem while trying to install it on the Arch Linux Operating system.Firstly you have to get the Android Kernel latest sources and then you have to Get toolchains from CodeSourcery
    Start the Android emulator
    • ./emulator

Get the config.gz from the running emulator using ‘adb’
    • ./adb pull /proc/config.gz .

Decompress the config.gz and rename it to .config
    • gunzip config.gz
    • mv config .config

Replace the old .config in the android kernel sources with the above .config file. Now you have to issue the make command for the kernel
    • make menuconfig ARCH=arm
    • make ARCH=arm

After doing his you have to make sure that you saved the configuration.This will create the Kernel image at arch/arm/boot/zImage
    Now you can start the emulator by issuing the following command
    • ./emulator –kernel ../arch/arm/boot/zImage -show-kernel –shell
    Last edited by Enriqueta; 19-11-2010 at 07:46 AM.