Thread: Install Gnokii on Fedora 12

Install Gnokii on Fedora 12

I have the Fedora 12 on the system that I am having and in addition to that I too have the Windows 7 on the same system and it is installed in the Dual Boot fashion. I am doing some sort of research on the connection between LINUX and the Mobile phone via the SMS messaging. So in order to go with this I tried installing the Gnokii 0.6.28-1.fc12.src.rpm on the system and was really helpless during the installation. Whenever I try to proceed with the installation I get the warning message saying that the mockbuid does not exist. Now I really do not know what can be done here so that we can overcome with the situation below. Please help me out guys with this situation and I really need your help in the matter at the earliest.

Re: Install Gnokii on Fedora 12

After seeing your post here I tried to search on the Google about the scenario that you are struck with and then I found one thing. I have noticed that the Fedora 10 and the Fedora core 5 already have the Gnokii packages. Well in that respect I think that it will be really nice if you can have the Fedora from that two options above instead of going with the Fedora 12. You will not be required to do or perform any extra work for the Gnokii. It will be great if you can have the older version for you and see if that can help you with the research that you are doing. Well if that work then you will be able to add some more points in the research work of yours. Well please let me know if at all that helped you in any manner.

In your case I think that you will be required to have the RPM Fusion on the Fedora.Also in the post of yours you have precisely mentioned that you are trying to install the Gnokii 0.6.28-1.fc12.src.rpm. The term fc12.src specifies that this is a source and not a built file and hence I think that you will be required to have the RPM FUSION in your case. It provides the Fedora and the Red Hat the softwares that they are required to have. You will have to type the following command so that you can have the RPM Fusion on your system and I am sure that after that you will be able to have the necessary things on your side. Here is the command :
    Code:
    su -c 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck'
    By typing the above command you will be able to have the RPM enabled for your Fedora.

I do not think that the Fedora 10 or the Fedora core 5 is really going to help you in the matter of yours at all. Well I am suggesting this as I have seen that they are already dead and are useless when it is compared with the Fedora 12 or higher. Well it is true that both of them viz. Fedora 10 and the Fedora core 5 were having the Gnokii packages but now they are really of no use. So I would suggest you not to go with them. Hope that you have understood the point here.

I think that you will have to go with the yum. I would simply suggest you to install the Gnokii using the command yum. For that you will be required to enter the following code:
    Code:
    yum search Gnokii
    yum install Gnokii
    It is the command that is used by Fedora so that you can install and update the software that it is having. All you will have to do is connect to the internet and then it will automatically search for the applications that are required. Hope that by using the yum you will be able to install the Gnokii on the Fedora 12.

What above teena_pansare suggested is regarding the installation of the Gnokii from the RPM Manager. Well it should really help you get the Gnokii in your case, but if that did not help then you can have an alternate method you can try installing the Gnokii from the source.
    • First install the Gnokii from the gnokii.org
    • After that you will be required to Untar the source
    • Then you will be required to change cd to the source directory of gnokii
    • After the above step you will be required to have copy the example config file for gnokii
    • You will be able to locate the same at Docs/sample/
    • From Docs/sample/ you will be required to move it to the home directory of yours.
    • Use the following command below:
      Code:
      $ cp Docs/sample/gnokiirc ~/.gnokiirc

By doing that you will be able to have the Gnokii for you.

In the post above I have seen that you were telling about the research regarding connection between LINUX and the Mobile phone via the SMS messaging so I have something for that. Well I have seen that you have received a lot of steps regarding the installation of the Gnokii and I have come to help a bit with the research works of yours. In your case if you want to do both send and receive the message (SMS) then I would suggest you to use the smsd. It can be used with a file or a database backend. If youo want to send the SMS then you can use the following line:
    Code:
    gnokii –sendsms
    The above line will force to read the message body from stdin. After the above line you will be required to type the text and after that you will have to press the Ctrl and the D key simultaneously. In addition to the line that I have mentioned above if you wish you can use the utils/sendsms bash script. Using the script help you in picking the numbers from the phonebooks and avoids typing the numbers on the command line. Hope that you have found the post somewhat useful.