Thread: Cannot mount SD memory card in ubuntu

Cannot mount SD memory card in ubuntu

Hi Friends, I have installed the Ubuntu 10.04 x86 on my computer. I don’t have any problem with the system. The only problem with this is the SD card reader. Whenever I insert the SD card in that then it is not getting mounted or detected so I am not able to transfer the files to my card. I am not able to find that what is the problem with that and how can I solve this issue. I think that I need to install something on that to make it usable. But I don’t know that what exactly I have to install. Need help.

Re: Cannot mount SD memory card in ubuntu

OK, I think that it is not getting detected as the removable media. There are many flash card readers that are implemented like a part of the USB subsystem if you are running as a root.

Code:
    tail –f/var/log/messages
    Run this command and then try to plug the card into the reader. Can you see any message that the card is inserted or removed? You will also have to see the output of the dmesg before inserting the card in. This may make the card functional. I wish that this will solve the SD card problem that you are facing.

I think that the Ubuntu is getting confused with it and that it why it is trying to mount it as an ext3/4 filesystem. I would like to tell you that the ext3/4 filesystem has the superblock and that is why it is not able to recognize the device. You have to mount that explicitly as vfat.

Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /your_mount_point_for_SD_cards
    I guess that there is something which has corrupted the things. You can see the device table to see that(ls /dev/sdb*). You are also able to see that whether that is readable with the dd command like "dd if=/dev/sdb1 bs=1024k count=10 | less". This will give you the idea that whether it is readable or not? You should also try to mount that on any other computer to see whether that is getting detected over there or not?

The SD card that you are using may be having problem itself and therefore it is not getting detected. If it is possible then you can try to connect any other SD card and see whether that is getting detected or not? Or you can try it on some other computer which is running the Ubuntu. If that is not getting detected there also then it will confirm that it has the problem with the SD card that you are using and you need to change that card with the new one. I am telling you this because it was the problem when I was facing the similar problem. I changed to a new SD card and now I don’t have any problem with the card till now. Just check for that.

If the Ubuntu installed in your system is not detecting the SD card then you have to manually mount the SD card on it. I think that if you do this then this will solve the SD card issue for you. To mount it manually, you will have to execute the following command on the terminal:
    sudo lsusb
    This may detect the SD card and you will be able to access the card.

After a lot of googling, I found this workaround:

Removing:

libmtp-common
    Libmtp-runtime
    libmtp8
    (autoremoves
    rythmbos-plugin-coherence
    rythmbox-plugins

Once I removed the listed packages, I got my system to seemlesly automount sd memory sticks again.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 21-08-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.