Thread: Cannot upgrade to Fedora 13 on a Toshiba Satellite 2450-201

Cannot upgrade to Fedora 13 on a Toshiba Satellite 2450-201

The problem I am facing with my Toshiba laptop is installing the Linux using DVD. The disk successfully installs the Linux on my friend’s computer. I was amazed by the speed of Firefox. The Linux prompts me to enter the password. Now when I boot up I can only login as root rather than user. I cannot able to reset the boot priorities also. The machine is now boots up straight from the Hard Disk. I cannot be able to boot from DVD/CD ROM. Another problem is I wanted to upgrade Fedora 11 to Fedora 13. But the machine decided to re-install it. What would be the wrong in my computer? I have successfully updated from Fedora 9 to 10 to 11 without any major issues.

Re: Cannot upgrade to Fedora 13 on a Toshiba Satellite 2450-201

I think there are few things you haven’t touched yet. It might be the problem about your DVD Rom. It may be malfunctioning or damaged due to unnecessary reason. Or you haven’t set up the BIOS option correctly. The incorrect Bios setup prevents the Booting from DVD. Either it may be the issue of the earlier Linux installation. Have you tried to booting from other external device? There are several options like External DVD drive, thumb drive or external hard disk. You may try to boot from these devices which are formatted with Fedora 13.

There is another option to upgrade your current Fedora 11 to 13. Using yum you can upgrade Fedora 11 to Fedora 12, Fedora 12 to Fedora 13 Fedora 13 to Fedora 14. You need to backup your system first. Next you have to remove several files before the upgrade. The complete instructions of upgrading the Fedora using Yum have given in this link. After the upgrade you can create a new regular user from the root account.

How is the computer is currently responding to you when the boot up? What response will you get after starting the computer? Can you see ant manufacturer’s logo? I f you are able to see this logo then hit the ESC key immediately to see output. In Toshiba the ESC key has been used to access BIOS. Find for any alternative way to access BIOS in your Toshiba System. If it is there then it will be very useful to get rid of the issue.

For me it seems to be that you are choosing uncovered minimum install when you try to install Fedora. The default behavior of Fedora is to install or put Gnome as Desktop. But you can still create user login. First log in as a root and type the following command n terminal window “yum -y groupinstall gnome “The Gnome will load here. Once it loads you will get the access to the normal system administrations applets. By using those applets you can create a regular user for login.