Thread: Grub error 22 on Asus EEE PC

Grub error 22 on Asus EEE PC

I have ASUS EEE PC 1005HA. I am having the dual boot system using the Linux ubuntu and Windows 7. I need to run the Windows 7 repair at startup. The problem is the Grub boots itself before the screen the gives you the options to access the BIOS appearance. When I boot my computer the Pc shows the following error:
    GRUB loading.
    Error: no such partition
    grub rescue>
    Because of this early booting issue I cannot be able to boot from the CD also. Is there any option to change this process? What should I do to avoid this?

Re: Grub error 22 on Asus EEE PC

I think that there is an Ubuntu EEE PC edition is available. Installing this edition may solve your problem. I never heard from anyone that Grub starts before the screen. How could be this possible? Have you tried to press the F2 button on your keyboard? Keep pressing that key until you get the Bios setup screen. If it didn’t seem to be working then think that the f2 key is not working in your keyboard. Otherwise there is also chance that the BIOS screen goes by too fast before the startup of the monitor I think. There is some kind of feature in your EEE Pc that accelerates the loading. May be there will be some kind of option to stop or slow this acceleration.

As from background it seems to me that your ASUS is booting in to the Grub, which may be pointed to the default option either be the ubuntu or the Windows Boot loader. So because of this it cannot be able to find the required partition which contains Linux and it is showing the failure message. And you are also telling that you are unable to boot from the Windows 7 CD to repair the startup. For this issue you have only option that is to uninstall the Grub first. Then change the Bios setting to boot from CD first. Then insert your Windows 7 CD and start the repair mode. After the repair you may re-install the Grub.For the repair you can use the following commands:
    C:\WINDOWS
    CD ..
    FIXBOOT C:
    FIXMBR
    BOOTCFG /rebuild

There is ubuntu edition for EEE PC called as Eeebuntu. I think you have messed up with something regarding the partition management. Trust Linux over Windows because the Microsoft is not friendly with any other OS which attempts the beating things. So it won’t care about and simply ignores the other OS. If you really need to repair the OS or need both OS then install the Eeebuntu. For this you need to restore your ASUS back as before means the way it came in your hand. To repartition the drives use the Gparted or Qparted under the Linux or Ubuntu. Then Reinstall the EEE edition of ubuntu.

The error showing in your system is the Grub error 22. Usually this error will appears when you deleted the partition. The Linux is very specific about the re-management of partitions. If you have deleted the partition then the grub suffers and unable to locate where the Os kernel is. If you want to fix this use the live CD and restart the system and using the terminal window re-install the Grub. If your system giving trouble with the boot setup then try to boot from the USB stick or SD card or the External Hard drive.

The No such partition error occurs during the boat load due to that the partition requested the device part or the file which is not available on the selected disk. If the boot screen is not appearing on your system then check the HDD function by connecting it to the other system. The faulty motherboard is also another reason for not displaying the Bios screen. May be the older version of bios is not supporting your netbook. If possible update the Bios to latest version.