Thread: Does the Ubuntu 10.4 helps reduce the electricity bill?

Does the Ubuntu 10.4 helps reduce the electricity bill?

I have recently started using the Ubuntu 10.4 operating system and till now it is serving me the best and also it seems to me that it is consuming the less power. But i am not sure whether it do so . I initially i was using the windows xp and it was taking at least an minute to boot but the Ubuntu 10.4 is taking less than 20 sec to start. Now the thing here is that is there is way that will help me to reduce my electricity bill by making some possible changes on to my system. Please let me know the possible way that will help me to manage the power consumption by the system.
    Last edited by Taizin; 15-11-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Re: Does the Ubuntu 10.4 helps reduce the electricity bill?

The most convenient way of saving the power is that shutting the system off when it is idle. The thing here is that the system is always kept in the standby mode when it is not in use and in that mode it consumes more power. Also screen savers that are kept on the system consumes the power when no work done. So try and avoid doing all this things and also don't keep the system on when you are not using it or when the system is idle.

It is good that the operating system of yours is helping you to reduce the electricity bill. the ubuntu operating system has the tendency to consume less power and i am sure that yours also will do the same in the future. There are also tools that are available to measure the power consumed by the system so use that and according to it manage the power supply. I hope that with Ubuntu you will get some reduction in the electricity bill.

The best option that will help you to reduce the electricity consumption is that to use the sleep mode or the hibernation mode. The thing here is that when you are not using the system and the system is idle than you have to keep it in the sleep mode which will enable the system not to use the power. Also when your system is in hibernate mode then it will close the processor and and also the hard disk and will save all your current work in the Ram and then goes in to sleep. This will save as much energy it can. I hope that the hibernate method will definitely help you to save the power.

20 seconds Sounds like a nice machine.

I'd suggest to replace the desktop (tower) computer with an laptop that only use a battery which has to be charged from now and then.

Don't have any figures to show but that will decrease your bill alot.
    Why run a hot plate in the kitchen on heat to boil some water (if not using gas), when you not need much more than a small light On in the window "now and then" to run the same computer tasks.

Well, some of the desktop experience will be lost on expense on the reduced power bill but also the most electricity saving solution together with still be able to use and access a quite powerful system to make the same tasks.
    Last edited by 3Bdot; 15-11-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Well buying a new notebook is not a big issue for me but I am not really able to decide which one to take. So if possible please suggest me a best one and also which consumes less power that is the laptop which has long lasting battery. And also need the below basic configuration with it:
    • Windows 7 operating system
    • Hard disk 1 TB
    • RAM 4 GB
    • Processor Intel core i5