Thread: How USB Drive is detected by Virtualbox?

How USB Drive is detected by Virtualbox?

Hi friends, my system has the operating system as Linux and I am using windows XP for my virtualbox. I am unable to detect the USB drive on Virtualbox. I really want that USB drive as it has all my backup data which the Linux is unable to run. When I try to connect it, it throws me the error message that unable to connect. Please help me! What can I do now to detect my USB under the Virtualbox?

Re: How USB Drive is detected by Virtualbox?

I had the solution if your virtual machine is running under Windows:
    • Click on the USB, in the Virtualbox Graphic User Interface (GUI)
    • After this check for the Enable USB controller and Enable USB EHCI controlling.
    • On to the very lower beach, you will list if icons just to the right
    • Check that box appears a new filter.
    • As soon as you click on the icon below representative a USB plug with a +, tjen you will see the list of the drivers.
    • Choose the option that to USB drive.
    When you start the virtual machine, windows will now inherit Virtualbox driver not to the native system and then attach it to the Virtual machine. Say Yes to the entire corresponding question and agree whether it is an unsigned driver. Open It in guest, it is still not installed the driver. For that disconnect and reconnect the key. This may fix your issue.

I was also having the very same issue that virtualbox was unable to detect the USB drive. I had installed Guest Additions, USB is enabled. I had gone to several steps, setting up the USB user group which have found from the Virtualbox web page, I had also rebooted the system many times, when I run “VBoxManager list usbhost” In the shell, it displays me the error that “Host USB Devices:<none>” . I tried it by putting in the many other values. But it doesn’t work for me. I then installed VMware, I tested on it and then VMware reads it very fine.

Keep in mind that when you are running the Virtual Machine, at the very bottom of the Virtualbox window there you will be having the various icons. In that you will have the icon same as that of the USB plug. Just right click on it and then select the USB device that you want to use. hope now your USB drive is detected by the windows virtualbox.

In to your Virtualbox you should have to make the virtual hard disks. Now create the USB drive and say Virtualbox to install it to the virtual hard drive you had created. In to the new Virtual Disk dialog, there will be the button next to the location field. Click on that button in order to get the virtual disk on to the flash drive. Save the file, click on to the arrow and now you can get to your flash drive from there. I will recommend setting the image to dynamically allocate, the size of the drive is not the disk space which is available. Give the name to that image to install Linux in to the Virtualbox. Virtual box will now never install directly to the drive because it will install to a virtual disk. Window will now be able to read the USB drive. There will be the file on the ending in.vdi. That is virtual disk available to you.

i have my os as windows 7 and on vm box i am running ubuntu.after doing all what is said in previous posts still my pen drive is not being detected by ubuntu.
    please suggest me more..

It may be problem with the pen drive that you are using and so it is not detecting that. If you want to check that then just try to connect that to some other computer and then format that completely. After doing that, again try to connect that to your computer and see if that is able to detect the pen drive. I hope that this will help you.