Thread: Startup repair does not fix the Boot failure in windows

Startup repair does not fix the Boot failure in windows

I have a desktop system. I recently made some changes in my system.I switched form Windows xp to Windows 7 operating system. My motherboard was causing a lot of trouble and later on I discovered the ATX connector of my mother board was faulty so I decided to change my mother board and buy a new one. I mounted all the devices on their respective ports and connected the hard drive with the motherboard. My motherboard was working absolutely fine before. But now the system is not booting up, it asks me to start up repair or start the windows normally. So I did as I was directed I started I started the windows , but I get the same screen of start up repair again . What is this start up repair and is it useful? P.S I have Windows 7 operating system.

Re: Startup repair does not fix the Boot failure in windows

I think your hard drive is causing you this problems. As you said that you bought a new motherboard , and you attached the hard drive to your motherboard. You should have checked the number of pins in the ATX cable and the connector. Some time it happens that the number is greater or lesser in either the cable or the connector. If there is a connector with 8 female pins then a 8 pin cable or two 4 pin cable can fit in it. But if there are two 4 pin connectors in the system board then a 8 pin cable will not fit into it. Yes most of the users these days prefer Windows 7 . I do not think it is the root cause of your issue. I the mismatch connector and cable is the root then the start up repair will not work.

I think you should be calm in such cases and try each and evry troubleshooting step calmly. Some times we forget some tiny and small things, Check the USB ports, if you find any USB device connected to it , just remove it and if you have a printer, disconnect it as well. Restart he system once again. It is possible that apart from the hardware changes,any sort of software changes may also have caused you this no boot issue. I know that the data stored in the hard drive sometime can be helpful , but you are stuck in such circumstances that you do not have other option but to either reinstall the operating system or do a system restore to some previous restore point.

Start up repair is not capable of fixing hardware failures, for instance if a hard drive is corrupted and is causing a no boot issue then this problem cannot be fixed by the start up repair tool. Since the hard drive is malfunctioning and the operating system is trying to boot from hard drive from the corrupted partition , in some cases it is possible goes that the reboot goes into an infinite loop, you can control it form the advanced boot option. The other big demerit is that start repair does not even help in backing up of data. So it is always advisable to backup your data in some or other drive.

Startup Repair tool is a tool that was introduced in windows vista which is capable of fixing issues of system files which have been damaged, these damage files obstruct the windows to start normally or boot to the operating system in a normal way. So to heal these damaged system files you can run a start up repair tool that scans these system files and boots the windows normally. If you have Windows Vista in the Windows Vista installation disc in the System Recovery option. Some manufacturer make pre-installations of System recovery option so you can ru it from the hard drive. If it is pre-installed form then it is customized by the manufacturer.

You can use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) to troubleshoot and repair the following items in Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• A master boot record (MBR)
    • A boot sector
    • A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store

Note When you are troubleshooting startup issues by using the Windows RE, you should first try the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options dialog box. If the Startup Repair option does not resolve the issue, or if you must troubleshoot more steps manually, use the Bootrec.exe tool.
    Back to the top
    MORE INFORMATION
    To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:
    • Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    • Press a key when you are prompted.
    • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    • Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Agree using WinRE are a one of the most easy way in correct the entry.
    The files on the harddisk should be intact as I see it but there might be difficulties with the productkey in Windows.

The reason is that Windows doesn't accept bigger changes in the hardware orelse it has to be replaced with something similar if the computer came with preinstalled OS or was installed by the user with an OEM license.
    That's one of the bad things when using Windows and replacing the motherboard may trigger this questions to come.