Thread: Booting Windows 7 After Installing Ubuntu 10.10

Booting Windows 7 After Installing Ubuntu 10.10

Hey friends I have been using the Windows 7 software for long and just recently installed the software of Ubuntu 10.10 in it. And also I am using this operating system on my HP G60 laptops that has got better performance. I got the installation of the Windows 7 in it when I just brought the new laptop. Whenever I click on the Windows 7 I am brought in to the two options of the Windows and Ubuntu, after that when I click on Windows a green screen appears and then my laptop starts rebooting. How is it possible to get in to Windows 7, I got to perform some work urgently on it.

Re: Booting Windows 7 After Installing Ubuntu 10.10

Fist you got to learn the technique of dual booting your computer by using both the operating system of Ubuntu and Windows. Following are the steps to be followed for doing the process of booting:
    • First you got to have the Back up of all the files that you have done in your Laptop.
    • Always keep a Windows recovery CD with you.
    • Then install Ubuntu after Windows.
    • You have to use the master Boot Record and also the Boot Manager with it.

This will show how you can resolve the problem of booting with your Windows 7.

Always make it sure that the laptop which your using is set to boot from a CD. To have a check of this you got go into your BIOS. and from there go to "Boot" and then to "Boot Priorities". Always make sure that the CD-ROM is set to boot first if not you got to set it right. UNet booting is a kind of tool which will allow you to install various Linux distributions like Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, Debian, ArchLinux from a Windows system or a Linux desktop back over to the internet. During this time the real partitions are created during the installation. And in the end, you have a dual-boot system (Linux/Windows).

If the above solutions are not working then you can also try out the installation of the Windows Vista, then install the Windows 7 software, and then check before Ubuntu that it is still prevailing the same problem. Then check for the 2 partitions that has been made, and see whether it is the one that was made main one and the other one was made for recovery. And when you click on the Windows Vista Loader it will shows the green lading bar and it say Microsoft, After that the computer will restart after a couple seconds and then perform working properly.

And if the above steps are not working properly then you can got to the retailer shop from where you have got the Windows 7 software and get the details of the software that has been installed. You can also use the Grub drive for the booting of the processes and then see that whether the similar issues are being faced. And if you have a fresh install of Ubuntu without having no serious data in it, then you could probably do the repair of the windows 7 bootloader. And also you can make use of the Recovery CD.

Can you start (boot) into the Windows 7 partition by using Safe Mode?
    Safe mode are usually found on the Advanced startup window which can be reached by direct after postscreen press F8, F1 or similar depending on which brand of computer that is used.

You mention a green screen that for me sounds like the bootloader Grub in Linux. That means you have to repair the bootorder into Windows to point correct. If having a Windows 7 CD it might be possible to fix this with the recovery tool. Another alternative would be to use a Live CD equiped with tools for working with partitions and MBR in offline mode.
    There is one importent thing to keep in mind when dealing with Vista and Windows 7. In normal cases they using 2 partitions were one has all the bootfiles and another partition which contain the installed Windows.

If starting up the computer with the help from an Live CD in offline mode it's importent that the small partition with the size of 200MB (which is your boot partition) has the letter C and is markt as active.
    The bigger partition which contain Windows shall have letter D.
    Both must also be primary partitions. This together with the Windows recovery tool on the CD might help Windows boot as normally.

As it is possible to install Ubuntu inside Windows like it's possible to install Ubuntu on a partition, I can not tell so much more in helping you out until we know more of "how it is installed".
    Let's say if Ubunto is installed "inside" Windows then you don't have to check the bootorder into Windows like I explained above, because then there lay more sense in make all amendings by using Linux which you could start and change the alternatives there instead. Take a look on Grub and afterwords help it up with the Windows 7 CD if it don't work.