Thread: Linux: Computer hangs on shutdown

Linux: Computer hangs on shutdown

Hi, I am using HP All-in-One 200 for long time. It’s mounted on a stand and doesn't have a battery but... it is just a big laptop. I am using three operating systems in it, Windows 7 Home Premium, Ubuntu 10.04, and Ubuntu 10.10.I had installed the Linux O.S. and had no problems at all. But after a couple of updates, the computer freezes up on shut down. When I try to restart things appear to work normally. But then, while I have the purple background, and absolutely nothing else, the computer freezes. I then must press the On/Off button to get it to shut down.Windows 7 shuts down normally but problem occur with Linux only so please help me out for this.

Re: Linux: Computer hangs on shutdown

Hi, now you are using three operating systems at a one time so I can’t find that in which operating system causes this problem if its Ubuntu 10.04 then I don’t know the exact solution for this but I can suggest you to reinstall a new fresh copy of that and if problem occurs from Ubuntu 10.10 then I will recommend you to try logging out by using gnome-session-save. It will better option than installing a new copy hope you shoot out this problem by using this.

Buddy I can understand your problem because if you are using three operating systems in a one laptop, it can create problem in booting or in shutdown, so I will suggest you that first you check your configuration in default.session to see what is the exact command for restart the system and use that command for start your system and if you are having problem in shutdown then you can use “#shutdown -h now”. It will shut down your computer in automatic mode and safely.

Some time back I was also suffering from this same problem before some time then I had use one command that gives me idea about to know terminal system that how it works and how to solve or trouble shoot any of shutdown problem for this you need to type “man command” in the terminal systems. You will get idea about your termination system you can solve this problem without any persons help.

Before some time I was also having the similar problem with my system, it also hangs when I tried to boot and shut down to it then I had found by searching on Google that something is wrong with kernel. The kernel is known as central component which is available in most of computer operating systems. It is a work as bridge in between the actual data processing done at the hardware level and application. If it got corrupted then it could be the reason that you are getting this problem. The easy way to resolve this problem is reinstall new fresh copy of kernel and use or else if you know how to create new kernel then you can create your own kernel.

See friend I was also facing this same problem and it created by kernel because something is wrong with the kernel that time I had no idea about this so that is why I had used manually restart and shutdown option but after searching on internet I found one good solution that we can use live CD for boot the system. For this you have to start your system then insert that CD then search causes which create problem in kernel and shoot out one by one. For reference see this code which is helpful for you
    find /var/log/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -iH 'shutdown\|poweroff\|panic' | cut -d: -f1 | sort –u.
    In case of running live CD /var/log will be different.

First off all you need to find out that is there any problem with kernel or not by using live CD, if there any problem with kernel then you can check with some code and solve, if you can’t get right solution from that then you can also test by downloading the latest upstream kernel available on internet that would be great option for you .It will allow additional upstream developers to examine the issue, once you've tested the upstream kernel, please remove the 'needs-upstream-testing' tag. For that you have to click on the yellow pencil icon which next to the tag located at the bottom of the bug description and need to delete the 'needs-upstream-testing' text. After this you can check your result.