Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 Right Click problem on Dell Vostro v13

Ubuntu 10.10 Right Click problem on Dell Vostro v13

I just realized that right click on my desktop no longer works and that every icon is missing. If I write a file on the desktop, it appears in the explorer window, but not on the desktop. I searched the a lot and found related topics with the same problem but a bit dated and whose only solution (restarting X) does not work for me. Furthermore, I do not use any special plugin I just choose visual effects which is normal 'in appearance I have ubuntu-tweak and ticking 'show desktop icons' changes nothing. Everything I've done this morning is plug my new cell phone in USB. This is not legible. He was good in but no driver. Thank you in advance ...

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 Right Click problem on Dell Vostro v13

I think that this problem can be resolved by following the steps which are mentioned below:
    • Hold Alt + F2 "then" open the gconf-editor.
    • Recheck boxes / desktop / gnome / background / draw_background and / apps / nautilus / preferences / show_desktop if they are not.

This should fix the problem reply back if the problem is not fixed.

I had this problem too on my system actually the above trick worked for me and hence i opened the gconf-editor / Desktop / gnome / background / draw_background was checked after checking this i moved on to the / Apps / nautilus / preferences / show_desktop this was not checked and hence I checked the same , I restarted my system and everything is good.

Here in this matter i would advice you to perform the following steps on your system:
    • First and foremost try to run Ubuntu with the help of a live CD.
    • Remove the CD if you wish to run windows on your system.
    • Finally restart with the operating system installed on your desktop by default.

If you have upgraded Ubuntu 10 from an earkier version. There are a lot of error if you are using Ubuntu 10.10 with windows vista. Since i too had faced this so i would advice you to uninstall ubuntu if you are facing problem using it. Because otherwise there is a possibility that your system might crash at any time and you will not be able to recover your data.