Thread: GRUB load shows unknown filesystem, grub rescue error

GRUB load shows unknown filesystem, grub rescue error

My Pc is running as dual boot with 2 different version OS, one is Ubuntu 9.10 and another is Windows 7. Yesterday my Windows 7 lacks with storage space. So I resize the partition of Windows using the Partition Wizard. After completing the wizard I rebooted the system. Suddenly the system shows the Grub error message like -
    error: unknown file system
    grub rescue >
    This is the first time I am seeing this grub error and I don’t know what it means. What exactly happened here? Am I lost the grub here? I have read several posts and threads but couldn’t able to find the right solution. So please help to continue.

Re: GRUB load shows unknown filesystem, grub rescue error

I had fixed this issue once several days ago. Restart the system and boot from Ubuntu 9.10. After the boot you will need to edit the grub also called as boot load. Now the computer is booting to grub. Create new command line to edit the grub. Use these commands as given below-
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinux-version ro root = /dev/hdaN
    initrd /initrd-version
    At the end press ctrl+x to boot it properly. In the system level you will need to upgrade the GRUB. To do this use the Following command-
    Code:
     upgrade-grub

First complete uninstall the Grub. Then use the Live Ubuntu 9.10 CD to doot. Use the following command to boot the CD
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    after the complete boot check where the Ubuntu is installed and note down the location. Then mount it using this command-
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
    Next change the Location or Directory which is of your choice.
    Code:
    /dev/sda2
    Now install the Grub again
    Code:
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
    See any changes has occurred or not and getting any errors.

The thing is Partition Wizard on your system didn’t work well. If you have a Windows 7 install CD then it may be possible to solve the error. Move into the rescue console and type “fixmbr” to fix the corrupted Master Boot Records. The Grub transfers or saves some of the boot information from windows to Linux File system. This information is compulsory for the dual boot process. While changing the partition size or setting the some information transfer might not be achieved. Due to this reason the system unable to load the Grub.

I think you have done some mistake in the partition wizard for windows. You are getting this error because you haven’t changed the order for the partition. When you are creating new partition or moving partition you should change the order of the partitions otherwise the system will not boot one of those OS. You can fix this issue by using the SGD or Super Grub disk.SGD is a rescue CD which will repair the boot sections on emergency conditions. This disk will automatically fix any issues in Grub. It also works with the content of Master boot records as well if it is corrupted. The SGD will activate any partition you want.