Thread: Need help to edit .bashrc files

Need help to edit .bashrc files

I am attempting to edit .bash file as well as .bashrc files but I do not know how to do this. I'm extremely fresh to Linux, as a result my problem is extremely dull. I presently installed a program Known as AVS in my redhat 9. The entire thing I would like to accomplish is to be capable to write AVS from anyplace, by means of the terminal, as well as the program AVS will run, with not having to inform the path each occasion I run.I be familiar with this has something to perform by means of .bashrc files, however I'm having problem finding it out.Thanks in advance. Your suggestion would be appreciated.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Need help to edit .bashrc files

You be able on the way to set up .bashrc in order to append the directory the AVS program is sitting in on the way to your pathway. If the complete pathname intended for AVS is /home/usr/somedir/AVS, include this line to your .bashrc. Just type the following as it is written.
    PATH=$PATH:/home/usr/somedir/AVS
    you may possibly export this, letting the updated pathway on the way to be seen by means of any subshells you generate, the exceeding line would after that turn out to be
    export PATH=$PATH:/home/usr/somedir/AVS
    If you are new this will not make any difference to you, you can easily do this to get rid of your trouble.

The suggestion mentioned above is correct as this will resolve your problem. But I would like to tell you an additional method to do it. You may possibly generate a soft link as of your executable to
    /usr/bin//usr/bin should already be in your PATH.
    This be supposed to perform it:
    ln -sfn /home/usr/foo /usr/bin/

I have tried the both method mentioned on this post and of course, that is a superior method, I don't bet on familiar terms with what I was thinking. That’s what I perform designed for each and every one programs that I write down myself. But if here is merely one executable, this would be an enhanced method to do it. If there be saying, 10 dissimilar executables connected by means of the program, and after that you would desire to add it on the way to your path.

I am annoying to build an application knows as ns-2 work.I surprise if I do the correct obsession, I produced a directory called Applications within my HOME directory, extract the tar exactly there in the Application folder as well as installed ns2 furthermore after that added the following lines to the extremely ending of /etc/skel/.bashrc file:
    PATH=$PATH:/home->sav->Applications ; export PATH
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr->local->lib:/home->sav/Applications/ns->llinone-2.34->otcl-1.13:/home->sav->Applications->ns-allinone-2.34->lib
    At the moment, why doesn’t it modify the PATH Environment Variables eternally? in addition to this is it okay to append Applications folder to PATH as an alternative of adding a number of subdirectories within of Applications/ns2 to PATH Env.

Dissimilar distributions make use of dissimilar name designed for the bash startup file. It may possibly be .bash profile or .bashrc or .profile. Presently there is single of these default files designed for every user together with root. Every user be able to change his individual startup file with no desirable root privileges. As a result look in /home/username in addition to observe what filename your distribution make use of intended for a bash startup file furthermore edit that.Every distribution as well has a complete default bash default file anywhere in /etc. In Debian it is kniwn as /etc/profile. Additional other distributions might provide it a different name. You require to be root on the way to edit this file. If you identify a default within both /etc/profile plus your user bash startup file after that the user file acquire preference.