Thread: How to configure VSFTPD?

How to configure VSFTPD?

I have the VSFTPD with me and I really want to have that thing configured for me. I want it to be configured in such a way that the users must have the access on the certain folders they should not be able to access all the folders. In addition to that I want the users to move the files and the folders to the folders to which they have the access permission. On top of that I want to have a particular ID call it a Master ID for me so that I can have access to all the folders and in addition to that I would be capable enough to maneuver everybody’s work. I think that I have specified my criteria and it will be really nice if you all can come up with the configurations soon.

Re: How to configure VSFTPD?

Well I think that the criteria that you have specified is really simple and you will have to do only this thing, you will simply have to make the system accounts for the users and then you will have to give then the rights that you want them to have. You will just have to specify the criteria and the work field and role that they will play and accordingly you will be able to give them their role and level and security features. Well do that and see if you can go with that.

VSFTPD is the acronym for the Very Secure FTP Daemon. It is an FTP server for Unix-like systems, which also include the Linux in it. It acts like the default FTP for the Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, NimbleX and RHEL Linux distributions. It is secure and extremely fast. Though it is small but it is capable of handling the complicated FTP setups. It can handle Virtual IP configurations, Virtual users, Standalone or inetd operation, Powerful per-user configurability, Bandwidth throttling and many more and because of all these features it is the perfect choice for the users. It your requirement is Security, Performance and at the same the time Stability then let me assure you that you are at the right place.

Regarding the configuration of the VSFTPD, just see the steps below and I am sure that you will be able to get the things in the right manner.
    1. As the very first step install the vsftpd for you. For the installation you will have to open up a command line and type sudo apt-get install vsftpd. After that you will be required to enter the ROOT password. Then you will be required to follow the instructions that will appear on the screen given by the vsftpd. See that getting installed.
    2. Now after that open the vsftpd.conf configuration file with a text editor. You will be able to locate the file in the etc directory.
    3. After that you will be required to replace the file's content with the text that is present in the file /etc/vsftpd.conf
    4. Afterall the above things just create a user account that has limited privileges with ftp keeping the security in mind.

I am sure with this you will be able to configure the VSFTPD in the manner that you want.

I have a better explanation of how you can configure the VSFTPD for yourself.
    • First open the TERMINAL.
    • In the TERMINAL type the command su so that you can switch to the root user.
    • There type the following command gedit /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf so that the main configuration file can be edited.
    • Make the suitable changes. Here is the place where you will have to decide all the factors for all the users.
    • Then save the changes
    • After the changes are saved completely you can close that particular file.
    • To restart the VSFTPD daemon you will be required to type the following command: /etc/initd/vsftpd restart
    • Finally type exit so that the root session can be closed.

Well you can try all the above steps and I think that they are more than enough in your case. Well you had mentioned that you are new to the Linux environment and I think that you will be required to have your basics cleared before moving with anything bigger. Well I think that the steps that have been mentioned above are all given in a much better manner and the steps are pretty clear. Well try them and let us know if that really worked.