Thread: Formula1 vs. Java and Ubuntu 10.04 Firefox

Formula1 vs. Java and Ubuntu 10.04 Firefox

There is a feature in Formula1.com which is called Live Timing. This feature helps us to run the java applet that illustrates track timing as well as commentary throughout qualification and races. When I tried to launch that then it shows me not more than a blank window. I thought that it is the problem because of 64 bit and therefore I reconstruct my PC with Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit but then also I am having the same problem with that. The apple does run on my netook which is running Ubuntu 9.04 and has the Icedtea plugin v.6b14-1.4.1 and Firefox v. 3.0.19. But that is not able to run on the Ubuntu 10.04 which has Firefox v.3.6.6.

Please post your comments and any possible solution that you know. I will appreciate each helpful suggestion.

Re: Formula1 vs. Java and Ubuntu 10.04 Firefox

You can try to install the Icedtea package. I make available the working of the free software Java Web browser plugin. Th;lis is the first, that is able to work with the 64-bit browsers under 64-bit Linux. This enables to support the Java applets for the 64-bit Mozilla Firefox. It provides the OpenJDK makefiles by means of the GNU autotools which gives supplementary familiar build system. Thlat is why we need not to remember a huge figure of environment variables for configuring the build. Just try this and I think that this will be useful for you.

There may be the problem with the virtual machine and is creating problem for you. To fix this issue you have to remove the Virtual machine and in place of that install a fresh copy of it. You also have to install the sun java which is from the Ubuntu repositories. In many of such cases, I have seen that replacing the Virtual machine fixes the problem for the users. You should also try to replace the Virtual machine with the new one and see whether it solves the problem for you or not.

I have tried some more testing for this on my computer. I have created a Jaunty (9.04) 32 bit Virtual Machine which was similar to the netbook and then tried to pull up Live Timing. When I did that then Firefox points out that plugin is needed but it did not specified that which plugin it needs. Therefore I installed the Icetea-pluigin package which is from Ubuntu repositories. Once I did that and tried it again then I found that the Live Timing app works without any problem. This helped in my case. I cannot say it for sure that this will work for you also but you can try it once to see the results.

I think that the Ubuntu 10.04 that you are using is broken and therefore you are getting such problems. You can try Ubuntu 10.10 and check whether that problem is getting solved with that or not. I am using this and there is no problem with the Java applet. That is running fine. Just download it from internet and use it. This may solve the issue for you.