Thread: Create more users for Nagios web interface

Create more users for Nagios web interface

I am a Linux newbie here. I posted this issue because I hope I will get the solution very quickly. I have already installed the nagios application. All of you might have aware about nagios right, so I shouldn’t have to explain. When I was working on it suddenly I needed another user for web interface. But I couldn’t found it how? I want to mention another thing that my system is running of sues Linux.

Re: Create more users for Nagios web interface

First of all I will give you the little introduction about the Nagios. It is a popular open source network monitoring software for UNIX like system. It monitors the hosts and services. It keep on alerting the user when something goes wrong and won’t stop until the things get better. For your issue concern you will only need to run the following command-
    Code:
    htpasswd2  –c  /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users newusername
    Then you will be prompted for entering password for the new user. Follow the instructions carefully in it.
    Finally you have to restart the Apache by using the code
    Code:
    service apache2 restart

The process of configuring the Nagios is not the easy task as you think. There are lots of setups to perform the actual monitoring task. Read the documentation carefully. Before adding or creating the user you should add the permission inside the cgi.dfg file. If you did not added the user permissions to this file you will no longer allowed accessing the cgi functions. Do not blindly add the user permission. Read the instructions of each in the cgi.cfg file. Only the names of accounts that lists in the directory will be allowed to access the cgi functions such as the following
    authorized_for_system_information=nagiosadmin
    authorized_for_all_hosts=nagiosadmin

The appropriate authentication entries are useful to web server donfiguration file to get the basic access of the CGI and HTML parts of Nagios web interface. Only the authenticated user can access the web interface. For this the Apache provides a command called htpasswd to create users. This command will create the new file in /usr/local/nagios/etc directory named as [B]htpasswd.users

You can add more than one user to nagios. But remember that always the first user of the Nagios is the Administrator. To add the more users use the following command.
    htpasswd /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users nagios
    After that you have to set or add the CGI authentication in the Nagios cgi.cfg file. To do this type-
    debian4r2# vi /usr/local/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg
    In that file set the statement value as
    use_authentication=1
    Now you are ready to use another user account. In this way you can add as many as user.