Thread: VNC Server on CentOS and VNC Viewer on XP

VNC Server on CentOS and VNC Viewer on XP

Well I think that you all will have to help me with this task below. I really need help on this and please do the needful: I have to put the VNC Server on the CentOS and along with that I also have to put the VNC viewer on the Windows XP. Well of the second part I am not sure at all if that is possible but I think that the first part is so I will be really happy if at all you all can help me in achieving the same. Well to be very frank let me tell you that I have no idea about the Linux but I want to do this at any cost. It will be really a great help if you can provide me with the step by step description of the things that I will have to do so that I can get this thing for me. I will be really happy with the same. I will be really happy if at all you can guide me in the proper direction. Hope to get the reply soon on this query of mine. Please guys come up with the solutions so that I can start the work.

Re: VNC Server on CentOS and VNC Viewer on XP

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing, it is basically a remote control software that permits you to analysis and work together with one computer (the "server") using a straightforward program (the "viewer") on one more computer anywhere on the Internet. The default ports for the VNC viewers are different between and I would suggest you to take care of that. In case of the Linux it is 5901 and in case of Windows it is 5900. For the Windows VNC viewer just do the following add a colon and then enter the number one (1) after that. As an example you can see here: the IP address of the Linux system: 1 with further clarification- 192.168.0.111:1

Well thanks a lot for all this but I just want to say that that entire thing worked when I was on the CentOS side but that thing simply did not work at all when I was using the same procedure on the Windows side. I think that it will be really nice if you all can come up with much more detail explanation on the same. It is just giving me the error whenever I am trying that on the system. Please instruct me with much detail statement. Thanks in advance.

I have just come here to make the things very much clear. Well let me tell you that if at all you have done anything with the port and: 1 after your Linux box IP then I would suggest you try to disable the Linux firewall. I think that can be the problem for the same. To do that you will have to type:
    Code:
    service iptables stop
    Once that is done then I would suggest you to try to enter the VNC again. I am sure that the problem will be solved and if that really does then after that you will have to follow the steps below:
    • As the first step open the iptables config
    • After iptables config is opened then you can add the following line: -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5901 -j ACCEPT
    • After the successful insertion of the line you can enable the iptables
    • Restart the iptables services.

Hope that this time you have the things successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto4 View Post
    I have just come here to make the things very much clear. Well let me tell you that if at all you have done anything with the port and: 1 after your Linux box IP then I would suggest you try to disable the Linux firewall. I think that can be the problem for the same. To do that you will have to type:
    Code:
    service iptables stop
    Once that is done then I would suggest you to try to enter the VNC again. I am sure that the problem will be solved and if that really does then after that you will have to follow the steps below:
    • As the first step open the iptables config
    • After iptables config is opened then you can add the following line: -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5901 -j ACCEPT
    • After the successful insertion of the line you can enable the iptables
    • Restart the iptables services.

Hope that this time you have the things successfully.
    Well I am of the opinion that the above step should work. Well in addition to that I would also suggest you to see for the vncserver service. Please see that before doing anything else you will be required to see if vncserver service is started or not. For that you will be required to start the service manually. This service is not at all going to start automatically with the system. After that you will be able to connect the VNC server just fine.

I would simply suggest you to have some of the required packets installed. The server package is called vnc-server. To check you will have to run the command:
    Code:
    rpm -q vnc-server
    After you run the command you will get two results either package vnc-server is not installed or you will receive the message package vnc-server is installed and it will show the version along with that. If at all you get the first result then I would suggest you get that installed. For that you will be required to install the same using this command:
    Code:
    yum install vnc-server
    You will also require to have the vnc client and for that you will be required to run the command:
    Code:
    yum install vnc
    I am of the opinion that after you will have all the above things you will be able to have what you desire for.