Thread: How to recover emails from a deleted email account

How to recover emails from a deleted email account

I am running Mac OS X on my computer and I have recently installed Thunderbird on this computer. I configured it myself for mail setup. Now, by default, I was getting the message where I was asked to click on a button to download the new emails on to my computer. This irritates me a lot of time since I do not know which are old mails that needs my immediate attention and which are new that I can delay for few days. So for this I went to the settings and by mistakenly I deleted my account. I was not known to the fact that this will also delete my Inbox and remove all of my emails which was currently viewable to me. I am unable to recover those mails and so need your help. How can I recover my emails which belongs to a deleted email account?

Re: How to recover emails from a deleted email account

Recovering your lost mails is very simple. Simply click on File menu and click on "Import Mailboxes". Select "Mail for Mac OS X". Now go to Users/[user_name]/Library/Mail/ and look for your account folder. You should have a folder which has a name similar to "POP-user@weburl.com@mail.weburl.com". If it exists then you are lucky to get your emails back, but it isn't there then there is no solution to your problem. Select that folder and click on "Choose" button. Once you have done this, you will have all the mailboxes in that folder and allows you to add the one you need.

I don't know how to retrieve the lost mails but if you get the mails back or if you are continuing to use Thunderbird as your email client then I would suggest you how to stop getting that updates messages. For this, go to Preferences on Thunderbird which you will find under Mail menu. Now click on the "Accounts" tab, and then "Advanced" tab. Untick the checkbox which says "Include when automatically checking for new mail". You have to save this settings by clicking on Confirm and you are done!

There are several ways to recover messages that you've deleted. The recovery of messages depends on how Thunderbird is configured to handle the deleted messages. If it is set up to move deleted messages to a specific folder, then select that folder and drag the message to another mailbox. If it is set up to mark deleted messages, choose Show Deleted Messages from the View menu, then select a message and choose Undelete from the Message menu. If you are not sure about how your email client is handling the deleted messages, open the Viewing pane of Mail preferences. If you are unable to see your mailboxes, then select Show Mailboxes from the View menu.

If you have by mistakenly deleted one of your mail accounts in Thunderbird, you can still recover those emails. It is not removed completely from your computer and you can still find it in the Mail folder in your profile folder. Go to your profile folder and make sure the mail for the deleted account still exists. Once you are ensured, you go perform the below steps:

1. Launch Thunderbird and create a new mail account. Use the same email address and server settings as you had in your previous deleted account.
    2. This will create a new account directory with a numeric suffix. For example, if your old mail account directory was pop.domainname.com it will create a pop-domainname-1.com. Now go to Tools - Account Settings - Server Settings - Local directory and click on the Browse button. Here you have to change the account directory with the old mail account directory. Once you have mentioned the correct path of the folder, you must restart your Thunderbird to resemble all of your previous mails into your new account.
    3. Now make sure you have all of your previous emails in the new account's inbox folder.

What type of email account you are having? Is it Imap or pop3 account? If it is an IMAP account, then you can still recover you emails without any hazel. In IMAP accounts, the emails are downloaded on your computer and at the same time a copy of it is left on the server. So you just have to create a new account and you can again import all of your emails into your Inbox. If it is a POP3 account, then it becomes tedious to recover the mails. This is because in POP3 setup the emails are first downloaded to your Inbox and then it is deleted from your server. In such case, you have to use some email recovery software to recover deleted messages.