Thread: Is " CLUE" Command Line User Environment important aspect of linux

Is " CLUE" Command Line User Environment important aspect of linux

Recently I was going through an article saying where I found out that CLUE that is Command Line User Environment are necessarily required to know by the users of linux. But was thinking of using the linux operating system on my computer until I read that article. It was also mentioned in the article that the Linux Distributers has evolved so much that the current GUI is very sufficient to use. I am just looking for checking the news,checking my e-mail, writing a blog,Listening to music. So these all are general things which I have to do, So can any one suggest me which Distribution should I use?

Re: Is " CLUE" Command Line User Environment important aspect of linux

As far as your needs is concerned, I would reckon you to use ubuntu. Since you only want for doing general purpose work like listening music,reading emails,playing music so this will definitely be the distribution of your choice. You dont need to have very adequate knowledge of command line. Although if you have some then it is like a added bonus. Also Graphical User Interface that is provided by ubuntu will generally do all the work which is needed by you. So go on and enjoy using the ubuntu as it has a very realistic feature as compared to other operating systems. You will enjoy the look of your desktop and will certainly think of as a right choice.

Hello friend I would suggest you to use, Mandriva distro as it has all the latest applications products integrated inside it. You can also use Live one Disk before going for Mandriva and see which ever you like the most. As to my knowledge I would like to go for Mandriva because it has many positives in it. Mandriva comes with scientific and educational programs, word processing office software, file managers and web-browser and many more application that you will thoroughly enjoy it. So please go for Mandriva distro and have as much fun as want as it is also for those you doesnt know what linux is all about and can easily learn things which you want.

Most of the Distributions come with configured GUIs such as RedHat, fedora etc.One other Major difference between all the Distributions is that the style of Program in which it is designed. Also the file system for every Distribution may vary, although we can install package manager, like .rpm .deb .src, etc. So according to me Mandriva would certainly be a good choice for you. Mandriva is a complete Operating System, it has all the user friendly feature in and it is limited to only few choices. It comes with 3 different office suits which helps the users to have choices available. Seeing at the above post you might have come to know the Distribution of your choice so dont think much and go for it. Enjoy

Hey I would totally disagree with all of you, as far as I am concerned the Disto is not an important aspect of linux , they are only recommend if you are handling some server or something like that, It is not for a normal desktop user like you as you have mentioned in your post that you only rant to do some general purpose work on your computer. I think that the X server environment is mostly preferred, so you can use KDE and GNome distro. They are highly recommend for all the desktop users. The reason being this is that they are all very simple and will be directly right in front of your desktop. So I would suggest you to go for this distro and see the difference.

Hey I totally disagree with you, according to me for a new user who is just starting to learn he has to have to know all the difference. If you take an example of ubuntu you know that its very easy to install. All the distros have a different package management system and also the applications which are installed in it are predefined. So, while choosing which distros you want I think it is absolutely depended on how much you want to learn. You can also have for example KDE and Gnome, installed onto your system and you can use whichever you want at any given time. So its totally depended upon how you want to use it