Thread: How to Start and Stop Gnome GUI Services

How to Start and Stop Gnome GUI Services

I have a desktop PC which is running ubuntu 8.10 in my system “Administration” pull-down. In which there is an entry for “services”. This pull-down will let me to start r stop different system services”. I also own another PC in my home. That PC is running ubuntu 10.1. But in this version of linux the entry is missing to start and stop the various kinds of services like system services. What should I do get an entry into my “administration” pull-down list? Should I have to install any kind of packages? If any packages are available then tell how can I get it?

Re: How to Start and Stop Gnome GUI Services

You can use either the GUI tools or the terminal windows to start and stop the gnome GUI services. It is related to the GDM (Gnome Display Manager) service in the service list. The administration pull-down menu allows you to select the services which will be started during the system boot. Just open the services list by going System>administration>services. It will ask you to enter the administrator password. After that a windows will be appear in that you can select or deselect GDM service by using the checkbox.

The Linux version of ubuntu 8.10 services is the basic programs which will allow us to start certain features or services at boot time like Apache and webserver etc. Every Linux allocation provides a list of services that can be start and stop whenever we want. With these services your system becomes faster, safe and stable. In order to start these services you will need to download and install the 'sysv-rc-conf' package for your ubuntu. For the system or GUI services tool we probably use the command called 'services-admin' or the pull-down Menu is mostly included in the 'gnome-system-tools'.

Sometimes the service packages are not included in the Linux os. You have to manually install and edit the list. Because the service list contains some important services as well s unimportant services. In your Ubuntu system you install packages using few simple steps given below-
    • Open application> Ubuntu Software Center.
    • In that search, download and install the package called sysv-rc-conf’
    • After completing the installation open Applications –> Accessories –> Terminal
    • Type the command- sudo sysv-rc-conf
    • List of services which are available will be shown. In run-level Put X to enable services and remove X to disable it. You can also use the mouse click to select and deselect the appropriate services.
    • After completing the selection press Q to save the setting.

If you did not find the GUI service in you Administrator list or menu then try using the terminal windows by running /usr/bin/system-config-services. Make sure that you have the administrator access. There are separate or individual scripts to start, stop and restart the services using the commands. These were normally found in /etc/init.d: so without the use of GUI you can start any services like gnome. Some of the examples are given bellow-
    To restart the apache run---- -/etc/init.d/httpd
    To restart the My SQL run-----/etc/init.d/mysqld