Thread: Reading NTFS partition in CentOS

Reading NTFS partition in CentOS

Hi friends, I have the problem, I want to know whether how to read the NTFS partition in CentOS. I have installed two kind of Linux distribution on my computer system. That is Fedora12 and CentOS and also I had installed the Windows in the NTFS partition. I am flexible while operating windows partition in Fedora. The problem is I cannot able to search for the windows partition in CentOS. I am not able to mount the hard drive that format as NTFS system. I will be great if someone helps me to know how to access NTFS partition in CentOS. I accessed on google but i was unable to find.Please help how I can fix this problem.

Re: Reading NTFS partition in CentOS

Hi friend, you need to install fuse package for CentOS to mount NTFS partition, as you are using the Fedora12 and Windows on the system alternatively. If you have the NTFS partitions then download and install the fuse package. Download it from the atrpms.net and dag.wieers.com web sites. After the installation you can now mount NTFS partitions easily. this will really help you

You will not be able to fuse package at its own while you have already installed CentOS. It is already there in the base package, base package is in the list of packages that are not ticked by default. If you want to install it then you need to tick them while installing the fuse package. If you have missed it then you had to install rpm forge for the installation. You can download install rpm forge from the rpmrepo.org site. Before using the commands your must have the internet connectivity.

You need to install NTFS-3g. After installation then you may setup your mounts. You may setup mount -t /dev/sdax /media/somewhere. Test it, for testing you should have to create Virtual Machine (VM) in your system and after reinstall the CentOS in the virtual machine that you have created. While installing you will have the option for the customize packages. That means you will have the option to install which package you want. Under the base package you will now have the fuse, after having it install it. And then finally try to mount the NTFS. It will able to work without any YUM installation. As you are using the Fedora as well, it will select it by default as a standard package. Now it is easier to mount NTFS partition under the Linux Operating System.

The package exactly depends on operating system of which bit it is running either the 32 or 64 bits of operating system. Also the package manger will take care of details automatically. You may not able to install rpm repositories by default. To select your rpm repository, you may also select from dag.wieers.com/rpm web page. To install ntfs-3g with the help of command line you need to write “yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install fuse fuse-ntfs-3g” in the cmd.