Thread: Mac OSX:Single user password reset

Mac OSX:Single user password reset

I am having an Apple, Mac book pro laptop with the environment of the Mac OSX. Which is very much impressed me with the looks and the features of the ultra portable laptop. Currently facing problem with the password of the machine, this is used for the single user to access the file. It gives me error message while I attempt for the boot the machine. I am also not able to mount any image file in the laptop. I had made some of the image files of the previous used operating system. The system completely freeze up while tried to boot the machine also it happens while I restart the machine for any type of the error occurred in the screen. Now I would like to know to how to reset the password of the user account that I have in the laptop? Is it possible with the single user account? Any other suggestion on this problem will be thankful to you….

Re: Mac OSX:Single user password reset

You can easily reset the password of the user account in your machine by the Mac OSX DVD, you have to just insert the DVD into the CD ROM drive and reboot machine, proceed to the window configuration window this will give you the option to create the new user account or to change the information of the existing account. Before that the option named as the “FileVault” is not enable in your computer then this will not change the password of the user account. I think this is the simplest way to change the keychain password of the machine.

If you are not having the operating system disk then try the process which I used in my Apple computer to change the remoter password for the computer. You first need to start the computer in the user mode, or you can also do this by pressing down the Command-S button till the computer starts, it will appear a command prompt instead of the normal window which appears in the screen. Type the following command in the command prompt window
    type mount -uw / then return.
    Or this type
    launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist

The next type will ask you for the short user-name of the account, if you that then put it in the proper place otherwise type this one ls /Users, along with that follow the return option of the window.

I know one solution for the problem and would like to share this one with you; this is helps me for the reset the password, start the computer in the user mode; insert the user name of the account that you have in the command prompt screen. If you don’t know the name of the account type this “dscl . -delete /Users/username Authentication Authority” which is followed by the return, which will delete the user name of the existing account and then ask you for the new name of the account, and also with that you also enable to insert the password for the newly created user name. the password command prompt will appear in the last time of the operation for the resetting the password of the account. And if you are having the user name then in the last procedure just edit the password for the account. Finally reboot the machine and log on to the computer with the new password.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

Log in the computer with the Administrator account, though you are having the problem with the user account. So by log in with the administrator information you can able to reset all the information of the user account that you have in the computer. Also if you have no password of the administrator account then look for the option to reset the password of the original administrator account. Choose the option which is named as the System Preferences under the Apple menu tab in the menu bar. Look for the account which is situated under the View menu. Click on the lock bottom, if this one will appears in the window; put the password of the administrator account. Look for the change or the reset password option which one you wish. You will ask for the new password for the account in two places, insert the password in to both the places and click on OK.

One solution is there which is might be works in the Mac computer by resetting the password of the machine for the log in. for that you just restart the machine and at the chime run the +s command for execution of the account of your machine. This can also happen in the Mac osx environment. Followed by the return keyword type the keyword fsck –fy and hit on enter. Also type mount -uw / and rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone nad again press enter. While you reboot the machine this will enter the setup by the commands which is mentioned above. There is no worry about the previous data removal from the machine. During the process you may ask for the migration of the Mac, do not go for this. Once you done this log in the computer and proceed to the system preference tab for the make the changes for the account like the permission or the password change.