Thread: Torrent installation in Linux Redhat

Torrent installation in Linux Redhat

I have got a desktop computer and my system configuration includes intel 3.0 quad core processor, 8GB of hard drive and I work on 3 operating systems, Windows 7, Windows xp home edition and Linux Redhat version 5. I work on computer programs so I mostly use Linux Redhat, so I need to do download a lot software stuffs from the the internet and I have heard that Torrent is a nice and reliable tool to download files from the Internet but I cannot Install Torrent in this o/s . Can anyone guide me to do this.Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Hemendu; 11-11-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Re: Torrent installation in Linux Redhat

It is possible that there is already a torrent version installed but you are not aware of it. Check for any torrent client by the name of 'transmission' in the system. Go to application and then go to internet option. If you want you can try different versions of torrent such as Bittorrent, utorrent or ktorrent. If one does not install try the other. While you install a new version please do not forget to uninstall the previous or the older versions. It often happens that some people install new utilities in the presence of their previous versions, this affects the the installation and conflicts among each other .

Yes exactly, it mostly happens that Bittorrent and utorrent come up with some compatibility issues. So in that case I would suggest you to install Ktorrent which has different versions according to the platform available. But downloading the correct version is most crucial. There are different versions available : KDE windows installer for Windows, but you want to install it in the redhat O/s you can try Stable KDE3 version, Previous stable KDE4 version and Stable KDE4 version.

But before you install it completely you will have to compile the torrent library named libktorrent. And before you compile it you will have to install the 'cmake' and a number of packages. QT,KDE,QCA2 and libgmp are the development packages that required to be installed if you want the compialtion of the ktorrent library to be error free, because once the compilation is done you have reached halfway and the further installation is quite simple.

I use windows operating system. As far as I know utorrent works under a wine program in Linux. It is a freeware application that enables the programs which are meant or written for Windows platform to run in Unix like operating system such as Linux.. It provides winelib which is a library that enables the users to compile the windows applications in Unix like operating such as Linux. The wine program acts as a compatibility layer between such programs.

I do not agree that any of the torrent applications have compatibility issues. I think I have sorted out 2 reasons why you could not successfully install the Torrent, One is already mentioned that if you have any of the earlier version installed then the new installation is conflicting the older version.
    The other reason is that you may have an unregistered version of Redhat i.e you have not paid for that.So you will be able to download and build the tool but will not be able to install it. So I would suggest you to either pay for the Redhat or you can opt for the Centos which is a free RH clone.