Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to reset User Password via single user mode in mac os x

Operating Systems

Old 10-11-2010

How to reset User Password via single user mode in mac os x

I am looking to reset my password with the help of single user mode in my mac os x. I don't know how to do this on my mac. Is there anyone who has done this before? Please try to provide me the solution on this topic as i greatly need it. Any help on this will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-11-2010

Re: How to reset User Password via single user mode in mac os x

Even i am looking to do the same thing on my mac os. I have tried out many solutions for doing this, but till now have not succeeded in doing it. I have wasted my lot of time in finding a solution for this, so if you have any solution related to this, then try to post it here. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2010

I have a nice solution for setting Password via single user mode. Try to follow it.
  1. First try to restart the system.
  2. Then press the Command-S when the system starts booting.
  3. This will allow your system to boot in single user mode.
  4. Once you are done with this now open the command prompt and type the command fsck -fy and press enter key.
  5. Then you need to type mount -uw / command and press the enter key again.
  6. After doing that now you need to type the line given as “launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist ".
  7. Now finally you require typing the command “passwd /Users/username password ". In this command the user name is the user which you are targeting and the password is one which you are trying to reset.
  8. After done with all this things, reboot the system.
Hope it will help to you.
Old 10-11-2010

I have tried your solution of resetting the password in single user mode, as i was also looking to do the same thing, but even after doing that i was not able to reset the password, though i will like to thank you for your above post. Can you please provide me some other solution for doing the same thing? Please help.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,