Thread: Parental controls for Mac OS X

Parental controls for Mac OS X

I am using Mac Operating System from past few years. But then after I am having parental controls set up on my Kid's account. But I have Safari filter for kid's accounts. This disables to access some sites such as Gmail, Orkut, Facebook, etc.It doesn't happen before. I don't known what is the exactly the problem. Please help me.

Mac OS X Parental Controls

May be before 5 months I bought a new Apple Macbook for my kid and I had setup the parental controls on that macbook. I have set parental control in such a way that it should be filtering access to https:// sites such as Gmail, Facebook, etc to disable them. I am using Safari browser on this macbook. Now I have changed it to the unrestricted access now but it is still happens. I have got confused now and I just want to reset the default parental settings on this macbook so that I can initiate with the new parental setup. Is there anybody who have used the parental controls on the macbook having safari browser to surfing the world wide web?

Re: Parental controls for Mac OS X

This may be the Internet content filtering problem. This Internet content filter is generally build into the operating system. Which allows the Operating System to filter Internet access of which Web Browser is used.
    The Internet content filter can operate in three modes:
    Unrestricted:It will allow you to unrestricted access to websites,

Automatic:It will use to limit access to adult websites automatically.

White list:This is only use for the user allow access to only these websites.

Re: Mac OS X Parental Controls

Honestly speaking, I have never used any Mac OS X ever in my life but still I have an idea by which you can get the parental controls of your macbook as default like it was set with the new macbook. You just need to create one administrator account on your macbook if there is admin account and then delete the current user account on which parental settings have got messed up. After removal of that account, Your macbook would be having only an admin account which was having all the default settings. Now create a new user account on your macbook and then apply restrictions on it. You can use admin account for yourself which can be easily protected by applying password to it.

If you believe that parental control feature internal to Mac OS X is inadequate or lack of opportunities for fine adjustments, you can then opt for "ContentBarrier. ContentBarrier is one of five software offered in the following "Internet SecurityBarrier X6" the company Intego. If you bought the suite, especially to enjoy the services of "Personal Antispam, "Personal Backup", of "VirusBarrier" or "FileGuard" then why not to test "ContentBarrier". If you're specifically looking for a complete software to establish a protective wall around the computer used by your children? You can download a demo version of "Internet SecurityBarrier X6", you can use for 30 days without restriction.

To access all the settings, go to System Preferences on your computer. Once you see this window, click on the Parental Controls option. Here you would be prompted by the new window. Since this is a significant change, only an administrator of the operating system can perform. So enter your password to access the parental control settings. After selecting the user account for which you want to set restrictions or to edit, you will see the new dialog box. Systems in this category, you'll be able to identify the elements that you can view in the finder and even the global environment, ie those which will access the user for which parental control is activated. Simply define the applications you want in the sections that appear in the box below.

I hope this will help you to solve your query. Where one of the my friend is also have the same problem from long time.
    Try to give your children the full access of the system as an Administrative. This will help you to disable the parental controls. When you make his account as normal again, you can easily allowed to view sites. After this everything appears to be working normally.

In the Contents section, you'll be able to hide bad words in the dictionary tool operating system. This is also where you can restrict access to certain websites. In the Mail and iChat, you can identify people with whom the user for which parental control is activated échnger can e-mail, and chat via instant messaging. In the Times section, you can set bedtimes for your child, but also the time of maximum use whatsoever for each day, but for the weekend. Finally, in the historical section, you can visit the websites that the user has accessed controlled, those who were trapped while trying to view them, the applications it has used and finally those with whom he conversation via iChat.

To get through the Internet content filtering problem just follow the simple steps:
    1.From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    2.From the View menu, choose Parental Controls.
    3.Select the user account on the left side of the window that you would like to enable filtering for. Note: Parental Controls cannot be enabled for administrator accounts (admin accounts will not appear in the window). Check Accounts preferences in System Preferences to see which account(s) have what level of access (Admin, Managed, and so forth).
    4.Click "Enable Parental Controls".
    5.Click the Content tab.
    6.Chose one of the three modes under Website Restrictions. See below for a description of each.
    7.Repeat steps 3 through 6 for other non-administrator accounts for which you would like to enable filtering.

Apple provides a built-in parental control feature on their system. To guide the usage of the Internet with your children, you can set parental controls on your child's user account, then configure the tools available that handle Web browsing (Safari), the use of e-mails and the practice of chat (iChat). It is also possible to restrict access on a schedule set or view the history of websites visited. You can disable the parental control at any time, provided you have the necessary rights. Click on the icon at the bottom left. A popup window appears, click Disable parental controls for doing the same no matter what settings you have made for parental control.

Parental controls are used for creating a user account, which provides some safety majors on the application which can the run, what file they can access and how they can use the Internet.
    With the help of Parental control you can:
    •Prevent settings or preferences from being changed accidentally.
    •Prevent essential files from being deleted.
    •And last but not the least user can create settings for Internet applications.

Norton Online family is more than just parental control software is a real family protection solution that combines technology with the development of tools to foster discussion between parents (or adult reference) and the child (or adolescent).
    Strengths of this software:
    1. You can always see what your children do online.
    2. You can define rules adapted to the age of each child in your family.
    3. Choose the sites your children can visit, authorized persons in their instant messaging, time and duration of Internet connections allowed, etc..
    4. Norton Family Online check if your child correctly informs his age when registering at a site.
    5. Norton Family Online helps you talk with your children the rules for using the Internet safely.

If you are facing the problem against your children to limit him/her for playing the games on macbook then stop shouting at your children anymore instead you can simply use the software which will automatically put your macbook off after which your kid won't be able to avoid you after you tell him that stop playing now and get back to books. I am using one software on my macbook named as LoginManager which lets you set a time limit logon for each user of the system. It is a useful program if you want to limit the time of computer use for your children.

This problem is may be because of Parental control. This parental controls are designed by an intelligent people not to be bypassed. There are some free proxies also available. Some of this free proxies are risky in use because they are used by some unknown source. Many of this kind of free proxies are what called hacker ports. They are waiting for you there to fall into their so they can steal your information and same time they can plant bots on yous PC. Once a bots is planted successfully on PC the hacker then can control your machine and can attack web sites, send out tons of spam all from your IP address and also can steal credit carts

Glubble is a plugin for the Firefox Web browser that allows parents to set up parental controls effective in limiting the activities of their children on the Internet. The application allows you to create accounts protected by a password with a list of authorized websites for each child. Glubble also has a Web browser interface simplified and friendly designed for young children.