Thread: Steps to install ffmpeg on Linux Server

Steps to install ffmpeg on Linux Server

I am having two version of operating system installed on my system. The two versions that I am using are Microsoft windows XP and a Linux operating system (suse). Few days back I downloaded latest version of ffmpeg. I tried to perform the installation on my suse Linux server. But the installation is not successful and it displays an error message while loading library saying that "Error:File and directory not found".

Re: Steps to install ffmpeg on Linux Server

Steps to perform the installation of ffmpeg on Linux server is as follows:

• PHP must be installed when performing ffmpeg installation. Go and edit /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo and add these lines below to that file.
      Code:
      [dag]
      name=Dag RPM Repository for Centos
      baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
      enabled=1
    • Then type the command mkdir -p /root/setup/ & cd /root/setup/
    • You should check out svn by entering the following URL: svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk/ ffmpeg -r15261
    • Type cd ffmpeg/ & run export TMPDIR=/root/setup/ << export /tmp directory.
    • To configure it type the following command ./configure --enable-libmp3lame --disable-mmx --enable-shared --disable-demuxer=v4l --disable-demuxer=v4l2
    • Click on make install and export export TMPDIR=/tmp
    • Type cd /root/setup and then enter echo "/usr/local/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf & echo "/usr/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
    • Type ldconfig and then you should provide ffmpeg version.

ffmpeg is a freeware software available which will allow you to convert different types of video and audio files using different formats. It also supports different types of codec and can convert file from one format to another format easily.
    The ffmpeg requirements are as follows:
    FFMPEG
    LAME Mp3 Audio Codec
    AMR Audio Codec
    XVID Audio Codec
    FFMPEG-PHP

The installation of ffmpeg is as follows:
    Download the ffmpeg from SVN website
    You need to assign 777 permission right to ffmpeg folder by typing the following command chmod 777 ffmepgfolder -R
    Navigate and go the root of ffmpeg and type
    ./configure –enable-libmp3lame –enable-libogg –enable-libvorbis –enable-libamr-nb –enable-libamr-wb –enable-libxvid –enable-gpl –enable-shared
    Click on make install. The installation will start.

You can check whether your installed ffmpeg is working or not. To check the working of ffmpeg you need to type the below command:
    Code:
    > ffmpeg
    > ffmpeg -formats
    > ffmpeg --help
    The above command will provide the list path of mpeg , its modules and other path information. We can check the audio and video formats which are supported by ffmpeg by typing the below command:
    ffmpeg -formats > ffmpeg-format.txt
    It will show the output in the file named as “ffmpeg-formats.txt”
    D – It indicates decode
    E – It indicates encode
    V – It indicates video
    A – It indicates audio
    T – It indicates Truncated

Steps are the steps to install ffmpeg from source rpm.
    1. First before starting installation make sure that rpmbuild installed on your system by using the following command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# rpm -q rpmbuild. If the above command says that rpm build is not installed then install it.
    2. Installation of rpm can be done by using following yum command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# yum install rpmbuild .
    3. Download latest src rpm of ffmpeg and type the following command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# rpm -hiv ffmpeg-x.x.x.xx-xxx.src.rpm
    4. Then go to Go to ‘/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/’ directory and type the below command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ and [root@bordeaux SPECS]# rpmbuild -ba ffmpeg.spec.
    5. If the above command displays an error like package not found then install the following package using yum command i.e. [root@bordeaux SPECS]# yum install package name.
    6. Issue rpmbuild command by typing rpmbuild -ba ffmpeg.spec and it will be created and stored in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/.
    7. Go /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ and install all the rpm that were build by rpms by following command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# rpm -hiv *.rpm. Now ffmpeg is successfully installed on your system.

For ffmpeg we also need to install ffmpeg-php. To install ffmpeg-php we can follow the below steps:

1. Install php-devel on your system by using the command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# rpm -q php-devel. If the above command says that rpm build is not installed then install it. Installation can be done by using following yum command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# yum install php-devel
    2. Download latest version of ffmpeg-php and unpack it using following command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# bunzip2 -d ffmpeg-php-0.5.1.tbz2 and [root@bordeaux saini]# tar -xvf ffmpeg-php-0.5.1.tar
    3. Then type the below command if everything is fine i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# cd ffmpeg-php-0.5.1, [root@bordeaux ffmpeg-php-0.5.1]# phpize, [root@bordeaux ffmpeg-php-0.5.1]# ./configure, [root@bordeaux ffmpeg-php-0.5.1]# make and[root@bordeaux ffmpeg-php-0.5.1]# make install
    4. Open /etc/php.ini and type the following command and add it i.e. extension=ffmpeg.so in the category of dynamic extension.
    5. Restart the web server by using the following command i.e. [root@bordeaux saini]# service httpd restart
    6. Write the code to check ffmpeg-php installation i.e. phpinfo();