Thread: Problems while switching from windows to Linux

Problems while switching from windows to Linux

Hi I am using the windows XP operating system from last few years and now i want to migrate ti Linux. The thing here is that i work for a firm and their main working is based on the Linux platform only. So I want to do migration on my home PC also that is from windows to Linux. First of all let me know how to do it and also tell whether it will cause any problem to the data that i have already stored on my system. Does anyone ever has done such migration if yes than please help me to do the same and also let know what were the problems faced by you people and how did you overcome the same. I hope that migrating from the windows to linux will not harm my hard disk.

Re: Problems while switching from windows to Linux

The first thing that you have to keep in your mind before switching from windows to Linux is that you keep a backup of the data that you have on your system. The thing here is that it may happen that migration process may hamper your data and you would lost all the data or the data might get corrupted or it will not open in either of the two operating system. make sure you keep all the data stored in a disk or the pen drive or any other external storage. It will keep the data safe. If the data is huge than you can make use of the portable hard disk.

If you want to migrate from windows XP to Linux than you have to follow the bellow mentioned steps:
    1. First you have to take back up Backup
    2. then you have to monitor the existing environment
    3. Make sure which Linux flavor you want.
    4. The choose a Linux distribution
    5. Then you have to carry out the hardware migration
    6. Choosing a Window manager
    7. Application migration
    8. Migrating Mail, Calendar, and Personal Information Manager
    9. Internet browsing/Web services
    10. At last do the database migration

The thing here is that you are using the windows XP operating system from a while and you must have also used the MS Word Documents, Excel spreadsheets on frequent basis and also there are data based on it. So it is hard to view the same file in Linux which will give your wired textured effects. Also you may face problem while having an access over internet because you must have got adapt of using the internet explorer and the settings are also different.