Thread: Running executable files in Linux

Running executable files in Linux

I was using Microsoft windows XP but there was virus attack on my system and it resulted out in the loss of data. Then I installed RedHat which is a Linux based operating system because Linux is more secured against virus attack. Linux is fully command based operating system. I am the new user to Linux and I am not aware of the list of commands which is needed to operate Linux operating system. I want to know that how we can run an executable files in Linux. Also I want to know that can we change the permission of executable file.

Re: Running executable files in Linux

Before executing an executable file you need to check its permission. The command for checking permission is given below:
    ls -l
    After typing it and hitting the enter key you will get a string "-rwxr-xr-x” where letter x indicates that file is executable by owner, group and others. If the letter x is missing then permission to execute is not granted. You can grant the permission by using the below command.
    chmod ugo+x
    The permission will be granted to execute the file.

• Open the command prompt and type the following command to run the executable file from your operating system no matter wherever it is located.
      /path/to/executable/name_of_prog.
      Name of the program will define the executable file name which you want to execute.
    • If you are in the directory of the executable file then you can execute it from the current directory you are in using the following command.
      path/to/executable/./

To run an executable file first you need to check the file permission. When you will see the letter x means permission is there to execute it. There are three ways of running executable files. The three ways are given below
    • Suppose you want to run the file named as Pgm1 in the directory /usr/bin. Then simply type /usr/bin/Pgm1 at command prompt.
    • You can navigate to the directory where the executable file is located and type Pgm1.
    • If the directory is not in your $PATH environment variable then you can type ./Pgm1.

Steps to run executable files on Linux (Ubuntu) are as follows:

1. Visit the official website WineHQ and navigate to download section. You need to choose the version of Linux which you are using. WinHQ is an open source software that allows you to run windows application on different operating system. As per our operating system we need to select Ubuntu. Then move in the resource section below you will find the link. You need to write in the Apt line. Depending on version of operating system you need to select code. Now download Scott Ritchie Key in Ubuntu, select it and then use authentication tab and click to import the file. After installing select close tab and choose the option to reload the. Now you are ready to install exe file.
    2. From the Linux command prompt type the following command
    3. $ wine application.exe
    4. Where application is replaced by exe file name. It will work if your file is located in path location. If the file is outside the path type the following command to execute it.
    5. $ wine c:\\myapps\\application.exe
    6. This will launch program to Linux operating system. Specify the full path name of executable file. Set up the steps for following steps in .exe. The exe will launch and it will be ready to use.

• For executing Linux files permission are required. This permission is read, write and execute. Execute permission is indicated by the letter x. There are some files that can only be executed if they are logged in as a root. You can install executable file with following command.
      chmod +x file.bin
      ./file.bin
      The installation will start.
    • If you want to give system wide install then type the below command first.
      su -
      password: <enter password>