Thread: Setting Opera as a default browser on Linux

Setting Opera as a default browser on Linux

I was using Microsoft windows XP on my system. But due to some freezing and virus problem I have switched myself to Linux platform i.e. RedHat Linux 9.0. I am not aware of the list of browsers for Linux platform. For time being I have installed Opera and Mozilla as the web browser. But I don’t know the steps to set Opera as default web browser on Linux platform. Whenever I click on any of the link or URL it starts getting loaded into Mozilla but I want it to be loaded into opera. Also suggest me some of the web browser and their feature which supports Linux platform.

Re: Setting Opera as a default browser on Linux

There are a few steps to carry out to make your opera as a default browser on Linux. These steps are very easy and will set Opera as default Browser. You can set opera as default browser by using Gnome. These steps are as follows:

1. Download and install Opera browser.
    2. Download the Gnome software and install it. Gnome provides object model for building a user friendly environment on Linux platform.
    3. Select Gnome. In the Gnome's System menu select Preferences and then select Preferred Applications.
    4. Open the internet in the internet tab select opera as a default browser and select Ok.
    5. Opera will be set as a default browser on your Linux operating system.

Opera can be set as a default browser on Linux platform by using the steps given below.

• Download and install opera web browser on your Linux platform.
    • You need to download and install software named as KDE. KDE is freeware software available for Linux platform which provides improvement in usability, performance as well as adds new functionality, features, tools and techniques.
    • After installing open the KDE system settings.
    • Then select default application and select the browser.
    • In the https URLs mark in following browser and select opera.
    • Click on ok and now opera is set as your default browser.

To set opera as a default browser on Linux platform follow these steps. Go to Control Center from your Linux operating system. In that select KDE components and then select File associations. In the file associations select “text” drop down and then select “html”. Then go to application preference order and click the add button. Browse for your opera executable file. After selecting the file opera should be at the top and then click on ok. Any KDE applications will use opera to open any link. If the link is opening in any other browser such as Firefox then you can uninstall Firefox. Under Preferences select “Preferred Applications” and in web browser select correct path of the opera.

Steps to configure opera 10 and higher versions. Download and install the opera 10 browser. Open the Opera browser and select the opera symbol in the upper left. Click on it and go to Settings/ Preferences/ Advanced tab/Programs. You will see a check box in the middle, click on it to select opera as default browser on start up. Click on details to be taken by Linux operating system including files such as image files, URLs etc. Now click on any link the default start up browser will be opera.

You can also set the default browser through the command line. Suppose there are lists of browser on your system then you just need to provide the selection criteria of the browser that you want to start. The command to change the browser is given below.

$ sudo update-alternatives –config x-www-browser
    There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-www-browser’.
    Selection Alternative
    ———————————————–
    1 /usr/bin/Opera
    *+ 2 /usr/bin/konqueror

The * sign indicates that it is default browser. If you want the default browser to start then press the enter key. If you want Opera to be set as default browser then enter 1 and press enter key. Now your default browser is Opera.