Thread: Open .dat file in Mac OS X

Open .dat file in Mac OS X

I have a Macbook Pro which is been installed with Mac OS X. The problem is with opening a file which is with extension .dat. i want to know is there any default program or application which lets it open in Mac. I have VLC installed to my system and it supports nut it is for movies and the file I have is not a movie file. The file name is AllGB18030-PinYinPlugin.dat. Please suggest me a solution for my query. Hope I get to a better conclusion.

Re: Open .dat file in Mac OS X

A .dat file can be anything. It is not necessary that this file would be associated to a video file. Any related information which supports this extension can be .dat file. So desired application supported to it will execute the same. So there is no specific application or program for .dat file to work. So it will be better that you let the supported app to get the execution done. It will work in a better way.

The file name that you have mentioned it basically seems to be a chinese input plugin file. Also it is actually from Mac. Now for your information there are many sort of files which has the extesnion as .dat and it can be anything. I have come across text.dat file, binary.dat file and many such. So it can be anything and every file has it own unique identity. So I would suggest you to have a look to the thing and make it work as needed. It will be helpful. Check out.

I would suggest you to to go for the desired step which may help you out. Basically there is no application which is default for .dat file.Check for the steps below:

• You have to make a copy of the .dat file you have
    • Now you have change the extension of the file by renaming it to .jpg or .txt from .dat
    • Now try opening the file using the application that it support based on the new extension
    • It could be acrobat, photoshop or Browser or Ms Word

Hope this gives you an idea about the file.

It can be used by any program that supports the extension. .Dat basically is a generic extension which can be summarized well in most of data type. Also .dat extension basically mean data and it can be anything which depends on which program is compatible and is developed for the same. So basically you can use the file with the specific compatible program which it support to get executed.

Thanks all for giving me the information. Now I got to know much about the extension. So basically it can be opened with the desired support program and there is no such default app for the file that is like Windows Media player for .mpg or .wmv like that. I will try to open the file with the desired app that it will suport depending upon the factor. Let me have a try and will let you know.