Thread: Error code 36 in Mac OS X when copying folder

Error code 36 in Mac OS X when copying folder

I have a difficulty that is actually making me scrape my head. Sometimes while I try to copy a file from another hard disk to my startup disk I get an error message saying: "The Finder cannot complete the process because a few data in ABCD could not be read or written. (Error code -36)". The file is well itself, it can be copied to another drive but not to startup disk from anyplace. This particularly appears to occur with package files and applications. I have tried to altering file privileges to match other working files lacking achievement. I can't find the solution for this. Can someone help me in this case please?

Re: Error code 36 in Mac OS X when copying folder

Users of Mac OS X Snow Leopard, especially those running 10.6, are experiencing an extensive trouble related to copying directories to Windows formatted volumes in Finder. I freshly got a new USB flash drive and ran into a serious matter as I was loading it with information. Some of the files I momentarily copied to my Mac’s Desktop from my old flash drive would not productively copy to the fresh one. Both flash drives were formatted as FAT volumes and only files which existed in a folder seemed to be exaggerated. I could copy the files separately just well, but not a whole folder at one time. Finder would have none of it.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

If you are running Mac OS X 10.6 and have a MS-DOS/FAT formatted disk handy, here is a quick way to imitate the trouble.
    1. Make a new folder on the MS-DOS drive with Finder and copy whichever file from your Mac right into that folder. It could be no matter which. For example, I used a random picture on my Desktop.
    2. Copy the complete folder from the MS DOS partition to your Desktop of Mac.
    3. Duplicate the folder from your Mac’s Desktop back onto the MS-DOS drive.
    Desktop * Athlon X2 4200 | 2048M RAM | 160G HD | 7600GT
    MacMini * G4 1.33GHz | 512M RAM | 40G HD | Radeon 9200
    Laptop * Sempron 2800 | 512M RAM | 60G HD
    PDA * Dell Axim x51 | 128M Internal | 256M SD Card

However I know if you do this then you just got smacked with the following error, “The Finder can’t finish the operation because some data cannot be read or written. (Error code -36).” Each time, with no fail, this has occurred on all Snow Leopard machines I have tried. Definite, you can reformat the USB flash drive to Mac OS Extended to get around the error, but that kills Windows compatibility.
    ASUS P5VD1-X
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 160GB
    Corsair 1.5GB PC3200 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
    Phillips DVD RW
    Magna 500W PSU
    XION II Steel Black Gaming Case

If you run into this terribly not convenient virus there is a temporary clarification until Apple gets their act mutually. It involves stripping the major file of its unnecessary dot highlight buddy. Don’t worry; you won’t lose anything important in the procedure. Here is what you can perform:
    1. Begin Terminal and type the below command, making certain to include a space at the end: “dot_clean”
    2. Choose the folder on your Mac which is giving you problem and drag it right to the Terminal window. A green color cursor with a “+” sign should come into view before you let go the mouse.
    3. The path to that folder should have automatically emerged at the end of the Terminal command. For example, it might appear like: “dot_clean /Users/UserName/Desktop/Test_Folder”
    4. Press Enter and go back to run the command. It will show as if nothing occurred but try copying that folder to a MS-DOS volume at this time.
    Whats my name again? I spend so much time looking at code i fogot my own name ahhh!

I think this is not essentially or necessarily main file or disk corruption matter. It is an annoying Snow Leopard bug which Apple will expectantly attach in the upcoming 10.6.3 update. In the meantime, this will permit users to copy and shift files between drives as wanted. Apple’s 10.6.3 update has certainly lastly fixed this bug! If you installed the update and are still experiencing a Finder error, it is probable you are suffering from a dissimilar problem.
    "Let us remember that our interest is in concord, not conflict, and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war." -McKinley

I have the similar problem as dogaman have. I fixed permissions and receive some message. My Mac Os X disk does not have S.M.A.R.T. status line at all, might be because it is on a Tempo ATA-card. My unique hard drive was as well tiny for OS X. I downloaded a fresh version of Virus scan, one of my problem files, and I still can't copy it to my startup drive, not from my other drives or not from the disk image. I still get the similar error message; sometimes it refers to a file inside the application package or occasionally to the package itself.