Thread: How to play videos in Redhat?

How to play videos in Redhat?

I have a Desktop system with Asus motherboard with 2GB RAM, 320 GB internal hard drive, an Intel dual core processor with 2.0Ghz speed. I have got two O/s installed in my system. One is Windows xp home edition and the other one is Redhat operating system. But I am having some issue with the Redhat O/s. I am unable to play video in Redhat. Can anyone tell me how to play a video file in it ?

Re: How to play videos in Redhat?

You can download the MPlayer to fulfill your wish. You will have to use the Http protocol to download and install the Mplayer in the Redhat. There are various binary Codec packages depending on the compatibility with the operating system. So you will have to choose the Binary Codec packages that matches exactly with the current platform. Since you want to play the video file in Redhat the the Windows package will not be of any use, you will have to download those Binary codec packages that can manage the Linux libraries.

Dr. V Guest

Yes Salvatore is absolutely correct . But still if you find any difficulty in installing it you can refer to the READme.txt file that accompanies each and every codec you download. But as said earlier you should look for the unofficial packages and should go for the package that is much more tightly integrated with your operating system. So it is always recommended that you should install the Mplayer from the current svn source. To install it completely you will require a set of sources , binary codecs and a GUI for the interface. Once downloaded a directory named m player is created and all the updates are stored in that directory itself.

If you have mean RedHat Enterprise 5, then install the Mplayer or if you have a Fedora check the Package manager and change the settings to default.As you mentioned you have Windows xp and Redhat installed .I do not find any reason why on earth you are interested to play a video file in any other operating system instead of playing it in Windows xp. Windows xp lets you play a video file in more than one format as it already has applications such as windows media player installed for that purpose and you can add on a more more utilities according to your convenience. So I think you should stick to Windows xp to play any video file.