Thread: How to perform Cut and paste from command line in Linux

How to perform Cut and paste from command line in Linux

I have recently installed Linux on my system but I am not very familiar with this operating system as I have not worked on this before. Here I want to know how I can perform cut and paste from the command line because when I type ifconfig command and that I want to paste in the gedit which I am using in my GNOME desktop environment. So if anyone have used it or have information regarding this please provide me with the procedure do perform it.

Re: How to perform Cut and paste from command line in Linux

This can be easy process which you can do use your mouse for this you need to just highlight the command lines which you want to copy. If you are having scroll wheel just place it on the gedit there click and paste. Here the scroll wheel is used to paste the command lines on different editor whichever you want to use. This can be one of the way to paste the command line to the gedit editor.

The majority Linux distros are design such that the tick of middle mouse key as paste action. Thing which you need to do is to pick text that you want to copy, shift to another editor window and there you need to just strike the middle mouse key. Rather than this if the mouse has a scroll wheel, just push on it to past the text and if there are only two buttons you need to strike both button concurrently i.e. you can imitate for third key which will be "middle" key by pressing both mouse keys concurrently. This will ensure that you will able to cut and paste the command line in any of the editor you wish to copy to such as gedit editor you have mentioned in the question.

As you have mentioned that you are using the GNOME desktop environment on your system there is easy way in it for copy pasting the text. You need to just right click on the text and copy after that just paste it on the any of the place or editor you want to paste the text. Whereas in normal terminals you need to select whole text using mouse need to right click and paste it on the editor you want but gnome terminal environment provide you with the shortcut for performing same thing with the ease.

I have resolved the copy pasting issue with my Linux operating system. I was using the mouse with middle scroll but using that i was not able to copy and paste form the command line to the gedit editor. I have just got the three button mouse and now i am able to perform copy paste quite easily with the middle key which needed for pasting the text to another place or editor.