Thread: Windows Update Questions

unsure Windows Update Questions

Just joined, so please tell me if these questions are too basic for members here.

1. Why are some Windows Update patches (as shown in Details) clearly stated as being removable "via 'Add/Remove Programs' list" -- while the Details on others do not make this claim? (I assume an absence of this info is an implied statement that a particular patch cannot be so removed.)

2. I am reluctant to download patches that I cannot remove via 'add/remove' if they turn out to be problematic later -- even when labeled critical. But perhaps I'm ignoring one problem to avoid another?

3. Could System Restore be relied on to correct problems from patches that cannot be otherwise removed?

4. Even though my default browser is Chrome, when I click on Windows Update, it always opens in IE. Why? (Also happens from some websites when I click on 'reply to' email addresses while browsing in Chrome.)

5. When I cut/paste the url for Windows Update into Chrome, I find I cannot drill down to the Details section of patch info. Does Microsoft not trust other browsers to run Windows Update by design? Or are they just hijacking other browsers because they can?

Re: Windows Update Questions

Starting with your first problem let me tell you that this is the policy of the Microsoft to keep the Update of the Windows removable from the Add and removed program. So that if some user wants to keep the update they can or removed it from the system. The critical download are provided by the Microsoft to check for the security or firewall error and fix those holes of error through Critical update. So it is advisable to allow critical update. Yes the patches and updated can be removed by the system restore which will remove the updated as the system is restoring to previous data when then system is not updated. I think that Microsoft is using the Internet Explorer for updated as it is developed by themselves and they only trust for the update through the same. Internet explorer might be having the compatibility with the updates from the Microsoft that is it is not allowing any other browser for then Windows update.