Thread: Unable to boot after compiling and installing kernel

Unable to boot after compiling and installing kernel

Hi friends,
    I am running the virtual box on CentOS 5.3. I wanted to install the kernel 2.6.33 on that. Therefore I compiled and installed the kernel 2.6.33 on this. There was no problem when I was compiling the kernel. It get compiled without any problem but I was trying to install that them then it shows me some error message which was as follows:
    make
    make modules
    make modules_install
    make install
    code:
    root@localhost linux-2.6.33.2]# make install
    sh /usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2/arch/x86/boot/install.sh 2.6.33.2 arch/x86/boot/bzImage \
    System.map "/boot"
    WARNING: No module dm-mem-cache found for kernel 2.6.33.2, continuing anyway
    WARNING: No module dm-message found for kernel 2.6.33.2, continuing anyway
    WARNING: No module dm-raid45 found for kernel 2.6.33.2, continuing anyway
    I did not pay more attention to it and continued the installation. After completing the installation, when I tried to boot the system then it was not able to boot that. I don’t have any idea about this. Please tell me if you know that what is the problem and how can I solve this?

Re: Unable to boot after compiling and installing kernel

Have you changed any option for the kernel? I am asking this there is possibility that you have disabled some of the modules that are needed for booting the system. For example, if you disable the module for md, lvm, and disk controller then also it creates such issues because there are required while booting the system. So first of all check for these things and correct them accordingly. I hope that this will help you to get out of the booting problem that you are facing. I am saying you that because it is was the same problem in one of my friends computer and he did the same and it let the issue out. I hope same for you.

According to me, the error message that you are getting is because the config file has enabled them. This is because the kernel is not there anymore or the name for it is changed. I think that you are trying to compile a non RHEL kernel on a RHEL machine. You need to recompile the kernel with the extra features in that if that is needed.

In the conditions like this, you have to create the initrd file again. If you want to do this then you can do this in following way. You have to use the mkinitrd command. After that the output file will be stored at the location /boot/ and that will be referred as the initrd line in menu.lst. This clears that the root filesystem in your computer is not getting mounted and because of this the /dev, /proc, ... and other directories which are needed during the boot are not able to mount. I hope this will clear the idea about this issue in your mind and help you to get out of this. Thank you very much.

OK, you can try the solution below to fix this issue. This problem is created because the SAS or SCSI hard drive modules are not getting initialized.
    1. First of all you have to enable the CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 in the kernel source configuration.
    2. Go to general setup and enable deprecated sysfs features.
    3. After that exit the menu configurator and save all the changes.
    4. Continue to the complilation of the kernel.

I hope this will solve the problem for you.