Thread: Hard disk not recognized in IDE mode: SATA hard disk

Hard disk not recognized in IDE mode: SATA hard disk

I want to install the Windows 7 to my new SATA Hard Disk. To do that, I have set SATA mode ‘to IDE in the BIOS. My problem is that, whenever, I try to boot the Windows 7 setup disc then the hard disk is not getting recognized by it. I changed the AHCI mode in BIOS and then I found that it detects the hard disk without any problem. But and want the SATA mode and not the AHCI mode. Can you tell me that how can I make the SATA HD to get detected by Windows 7 boot disc in the IDE mode? I think that I need some driver to do that. Any helpful suggestion from anyone will be really appreciative. Thank you.

Re: Hard disk not recognized in IDE mode: SATA hard disk

Which motherboard you are using? I am asking this because in my case, I have 8 ports in on the motherboard for hard disk connection and out of them only 4 ports were able to configured as IDE. If you want to check your system for the similar problem then you should take a look to your BIOS. This will let you know whether that is the problem in your case o not.

I don’t understand that why you want to use the IDE mode instead of the AHCI mode. I would like to tell you that the AHCI mode is faster than the IDE mode. I am using the AHCI mode and there is no problem with it. If you go for the IDE mode then you will find that it is giving the slower performance as compare to the AHCI mode. And still if you want to go for the IDE mode and HD is not getting recognized then it is the problem with the BIOS and you should check for the BIOS settings.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielV View Post
    I don’t understand that why you want to use the IDE mode instead of the AHCI mode.
    I want it so that I will be able to toggle between IDE and AHCI mode for both Windows XP and Windows 7. I am able to do that with the Windows XP so why I am not able to do that with Windows 7. All I .think is that, it is a driver issue and I need to install driver again but which driver I should install. I am confused in that. Please tell be the appropriate solution for this.

Actually the problem is seems to be with the Windows XP. Windows 7 has its native diver in it. I found on internet that if you install the Operating system woth your SATA configured as Standard IDE then it will not allow you to enter into the OS if the SATA HDD is re-configured as AHCI in BIOS. To resolve this, you need to install the OS along with the SATA HDD configured as AHCI. I hope that this will solve your doubt.

There may be problem with the installation disc that you are using to install the Windows 7. My suggestion to you is to try to install that again with a new bootable disc and see whether it detect the Hard disk or not? Your current disc may be corrupted and that is why it is not getting installed properly. You ca n try this before doing anything else.

This may be the problem with the jumper. Just check the settings for the jumper. It should be configured for the IDE hard drives. You should also check that if the "plug' and play OS" option is enabled or not in the BIOS settings. You can also try by turning this off. This will force the Windows for going to the devices which are captured by the BIOS. You should also check for the power of the disk. If the disk is broken then also it will take a long time to recognize that. There is possibility that it is taking more time then the recognition timeout. You should also check for the cables and wiring.