Thread: Ubuntu- 10.04 cannot mount sansa clip+

Ubuntu- 10.04 cannot mount sansa clip+

Hello Friends,

I have just bought a new Sansa Clip in. I tried to load some music files on it but I was not able to mount that. I tried to plug tat in but that was also not helpful to me. I found that the Clip is saying it is connected. After that I decided to reboot the system and I did the same but nothing happens. The issue was still there. I checked it by mounting the USB drive for my Nuvi and there I found it working perfectly with the same cable. Do you have any idea about this? I want to use that but I am not able to load any music on it. Please help.
    Last edited by Parakshit; 11-11-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Re: Ubuntu- 10.04 cannot mount sansa clip+

I think that I have figured out the problem that you are facing. According to me, you have to manually set the USB mode to MSC. This may solve the problem for you. I am saying this to you because I have tried this when I was facing the similar kind of problem and cannot wait to use that. When I set that manually then I found that it solves the issue and I was able to load the music on it. Therefore I recommend all the people over here who are in the search of the similar problem to try this and see the result.

According to me the problem is with the firmware that you are using. It comes with the firmware .18 but the latest firmware for this is .20. You should upgrade to .20 to get this issue fix.

You will find that the upgrade process is very easy. To do that, you have to turn the unit on to mount the drive and place that in the hold setting. After that you have to press the middle button and hold that button till you plug the unit in. This will do a forceful connection. Once you done this then you will be able to do the upgrade to firmware. If you upgrade the firmware then you will be able to solve the issues and this will also add some extra features to it.

This includes some very good features and that will interest you the one by which you will be able to the sound EQ according to your need. So don’t think much and just go for this.

I am also facing the similar problem. I purchased a Sansa Clip and connected that to my computer. It was able to recognize by the music player but I am not able to mount that on my desktop. I don’t want to use the music player and instead of that, I want to just cp the music to the device. I have already tried almost everything from my side but nothing was helpful to me. Please help us.

Hi Ernesto4,

I would like to tell you that there are two modes on the clip and that are MTP and MSC. MSC stands for mass storage class. As you told that you just want to copy the files to the device that is similar to regular USB flash drive then you just have to change to the MSC mode. Once you switch to this mode then you will be able to transfer the music file to the device. I with that this will help you to solve your query.

There may be problem with the cable that you are using to connect the device to your computer. It may be corrupted and not providing the proper connection to it. It may be one of the possible reasons that you are not able to mount it on the desktop. Before doing anything else you should try to change the cable with the new one and see whether that solves the problem for you or not.