Thread: Windows 7 boot partition into a dynamic disk

Windows 7 boot partition into a dynamic disk

Well I have the Windows 7 on the system that I am possessing at the moment. Before that I was using the most stable version of the Windows i.e. Windows XP and I recently upgraded to the Windows 7. Now the thing is that I want to set up RAID 1 mirror. I want to have the same from one drive to the another. Also I want to have that using the Windows Software Raid. Please anyone has this in the pocket before. Well one thing that I want to say is that it was not at all possible in the previous versions of the Windows. It was not at all possible on the C: drive in the Windows XP or the Vista, but I want to know if that is at all possible with the Windows 7. Please let me know anything in this matter guys. I will be really happy if I can get this thing for me. Thanks in advanced.

Re: Windows 7 boot partition into a dynamic disk

Well it is nice that you want to perform some sort of experiment. Now the thing is that I just want to know why you are going in the other way. I meant to say why do you want to have the Windows Software Raid to do the desired thing for you. I think that the Mother Board of your system must be capable of doing that in a much better way. I would not tell you not to try creating the Dynamic Disk but I would suggest you not to have the Third party software to that thing for you. I am sure that the mother board that you are having must be having the RAID controller and that is capable of doing the things that you desire for. Hope that you have just got the point in your head. Let us know if that really took care of the situation.

I am also in total agreement with what DanielV has mentioned. Well do that using the Mother Board using the RAID Controller that is mounted on it. I am sure that the things are really going to help you in the matter. Well in addition to that I just want to tell you to have the back up of all the data that you have on the hard drive. Make sure that you have the back up of all the data ready so that if anything went wrong then you will have the back up with you. I would suggest you to have the Acronis or the Ghost for making the data safe in your case.

Thanks for making the reply so soon. I am really happy that I have got something to start with and I have some suggestions on the Windows Raid Software. Well the real scenario on my Mother Board is that it does not have the RAID controller for me. When I bought the mother board actually I missed to see that the Raid Controller was missing on the board. Well I do not think that it is really going to matter me a lot. It is the system that I am using for the home. So I am not at all worried if I will have a slower performance. Now I just want to know what will be scenario if I change the primary basic disk to a dynamic disk. I am sure that the same thing was not at all possible on the Windows XP and I can bet on that. Also I want to know if doing that change is really going to hurt me in the future.

I am of the opinion that it is not at all going to work for you. I am saying this because the BIOS is not at all going to recognize that partition that you all are talking in the Boot Menu. Well you have said that it is not at all possible in the Windows XP and hence I would also say that it is similar here in the Windows 7. In Windows 7 the problem is really similar it is like running the setup of the Windows with RAID enabled in the BIOS. For the drivers to be loaded you will have to press the F6 key. The similar scenario can be seen with Intel's ICHx controllers. In order to verify that RAID array is noticed as one of the possible boot devices the RAID Option ROM should be run once. If at all the BIOS misses on the RAID array I think that the Windows Set up is also going to miss the same on the same note. Windows Setup is really going to find it difficult to have that one recognized.

I think I will have to give the steps so that you can proceed with what you actually want to have for you. I will guide you how you can have the Basic disk changed to the Dynamic Disk. Just follow the steps below and you will have the dynamic disk for you ready:
    Well before going with the procedure I would also like you to have the back up of all the data so that you can have them with you if anything really goes wrong.
    • Enter the Disk Management via the Control Panel.
    • After that simply make a right-click on the Basic Disk that you want to convert to the Dynamic One.
    • When you will do the right-click you will be able to see Covert to Dynamic Disk option.
    • After that simply follow the instructions that will come on the screen of yours and you will be able to have the Dynamic Disk for you.

Hope that will help you in getting the Dynamic

I also have another solution ready with me and I am sure that this will really help you with situation that you are facing at the moment. Well the solution with which I have come here works well for both the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Dynamic volumes can be used in most but not all situations. I have a solution by following which you will be able to get the dynamic disk using the command line. See the steps below and I am sure you will get out with your problem:
    • In the command prompt write diskpart.
    • The Disk Part will prompt up
    • On the Disk Part prompt type list disk.
    • After that on the same Disk Part prompt type select disk <disknumber>.
    • On the same Disk Part prompt type convert dynamic.
    • Hope that this time you will be get the easy and the reliable way for you.