Thread: Install windows 7 pro 64 and windows xp 32 in RAID1 & as dual boot

Install windows 7 pro 64 and windows xp 32 in RAID1 & as dual boot

My father recently brought me a brand new system. I have an old PC also. My old PC is running with windows XP 32 bit with high end graphics programs and some of audio, video editing programs. I was using 2 drives one is for backup and other one is for system itself. But on my new PC I want set the 2 raptor drives in a RAID1 configuration and to install windows 7 32 bit. I still don’t want to lose XP because several programs are compatible for this. So I want to set up a dual boot system. I used only 1 partition of my raptor drive and configured it for RAID1 array. I have successfully installed the windows 7 64 bit. Now my question is how do I actually setup dual boot with RAID1 array? This is the first time I am setting the dual boot with RAID. So please help with good information

Re: Install windows 7 pro 64 and windows xp 32 in RAID1 & as dual boot

Before setting the RAID1 array or setting the dual boot, I want to give you several notification about the RAID setup.
    • In order to have the RAID setup, it is mandatory to have the CP RAID drivers on your windows XP original disc and should have the option to select and load at the F6 prompt while installing.
    • If you are using the SATA drive then you will have either one of the below option to install SATA drivers for CD.
    • With dual boot of Windows 7 and XP how to Slipstream SATA drivers into Windows XP installation CD?
    • On the Dual Boot PC with Windows 7 how will you load SATA drivers in windows XP setup?

For quick installation I recommended you to create a separate partition before installing the Windows XP on your new PC. Next create a new RAID1 array in the raid utility. You can use Partition Manager from the Recovery CD to create new partition. Now install the Windows XP. here is the step by step process
    • Before creating the new RAID1 backup the old RAID1 OS(Win 7) to any independent volume
    • Now remove old RAID1, setup new RAID1 drives, boot the raid utility BIOS and create a new array.
    • Using the Recovery CD, create 3 partitions onto the new RAID1. Next restore the Windows 7 to the second and third partition
    • Reboot the Windows XP installation CD and install it first partition.
    • Note: make sure Flags are correct

It is a good idea to create or setup a system as dual boot capable. With the dual boot we can use our favorite OS and their programs using the single PC. It is also a time saving task. As you said you need the system for high graphical related operations. So I want to tell you that I heard a lot of problems and low performance with the RAID on Windows 7 install. Some time the Windows 7 doesn’t recognize the RAID setup. So I want ask you one question that why do you really want setup a RAID. I know that it can be accessible by the BIOS boot screen. Can’t you move on with the normal dual boot setup?

Before configuring the RAID you will need to remember several things. When setting the RAID there is no guarantee about the existing partition. So you need to image them or backup them first. Otherwise you will need a proper Windows7 restore disk. Another important point is about your 2 drives. You have told me that you are using the 2 drives. If you set or RAID1 the 2 drives the second drive un-accessible from windows and also from you. Though you might not be able to write any images on it.

If you want to setup a dual boot using 2 separate Hard Disk then follow the steps given below.

• Insert XP installation CD and reboot the system and press Enter to start the setup
    • Then press F8
    • Select the partition or the Hard Drive in which you want to install XP
    • Finish the installation process
    • Download and install .Net framework 2.0 and EasyBCD
    • Run EasyBCD. In this you need to set add Entry and the Bootloader Setup.
    • After that close EasyBCD and Restart the computer

Now you will see the option to select one of two OS.