Thread: Which is best Linux Distros for older machines?

Which is best Linux Distros for older machines?

I want to configure my desktop computer which is quite old with specification it has AMD K6 processor which works at 200MHz with 256 MB of SDRAM PC 133 and 94304K of DRAM. It has Intel i430VX chipset with maximum RAM it can hold is 128MB and Trident Video Card on system. Because of such specification I am not able to manage old desktop going I have tried loading different Linux version Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and Fedora but was not able to load it. So I am looking for other Linux Distros which I can have to get my old machine work, so if anyone having details about it please let me know.

Re: Which is best Linux Distros for older machines?

I think you can try Puppy Linux, it is a lightweight Linux distribution that focuses on ease of use. The entire system can be run from RAM, MacPup is a discreet desktop Linux division based on Puppy Linux. It uses illumination as the default window manager. This above mentioned distros might help you to configure your old desktop computer with Linux. So let me know if you are able to configure your old desktop computer.

I think DSL can help you to resolve problem as it is a computer operating system for the x86 series of personal computers desktop computer and intended to run graphical applications on older PC hardware other than this you can use Xubuntu. Another fun distro which you can have is INX does not have a GUI at all and have menu which is text based, It can still do reasonably a little things that can instruct you about Linux system. This is also based on an older edition of Ubuntu. So you can defiantly try to resolve your configuring issue with old desktop computer.

I think you should consider antiX as distros and try to use it with your old desktop computer. As it has Fluxbox and IceWMs both as there window managers for windows and also for Linux also it does not have much overhead. As mentioned you can go for Puppy and DSL which are both worth also can consider SliTAZ and Tiny Core as well. Both are enormously little and pretty proficient of working on your older desktop system. So there is lots of option you can choose from for your older desktop system with present specifications.