Thread: What Linux version recommended for a newcomer to Linux from Windows?

What Linux version recommended for a newcomer to Linux from Windows?

I wanted to move to Linux operating system from my current operating system which am using that is windows XP professional service Pack 2. So I want to know which version of Linux operating system to go for as I have heard about only two of the systems Ubuntu & Fedora, I want to know the key difference both of them. Also if any other version present for new user on Linux then please let me know about the same. I am using desktop computer at my place with minimum specification to run Windows if possible please let me know the specification require to run the Linux versions on my desktop system. So if someone have details about them and other versions please do reply.

Re: What Linux version recommended for a newcomer to Linux from Windows?

I think as you are moving from windows to Linux, so can defiantly find difference between windows and Linux in their way of installation of applications in the system. Ubuntu is most popular Linux version whereas Fedora is universal purpose system that does not focus on one precise market. It is appropriate for both residence users on desktop or for programmers for the purpose of development and the commercial server but there is need of several customization in all the fields. So as per your requirement and as you are newer to Linux I think you can go for Ubuntu first after which you can go for Fedora which is much flexible to serve all the industries.

There is certain difference in their hardware requirement and software freedom which is important points needed in an operating system. Lowest hardware requisite on text mode for Ubuntu is 192 MB RAM & 450 MB hard drive and for Fedora it is 64MB RAM and 620MB HDD. Other than this graphical mode 256 MB RAM, preferable at least 2 GB HDD for Ubuntu and 400 MHz Pentium-class, 192MB RAM and 620MB HDD. But as you are newer to Linux operating system I think you can go for Ubuntu 8.10 as your version of Linux operating system.

The installation process in Ubuntu is fast and you need to provide little information for installation. It is one of the simplest Linux versions to set up for a new user like you. It has added a few new displays in expert approach and has eliminated a few in learner mode that makes it even simpler to load the system with default setting. Whereas fedora features both for learner and expert users as it contains most of the functionality and features of a recent OS installer. The only thing which lack is the installing rate as it does not have split expert approach because of which speed is quite slow. So depending on the above mentioned difference you can decide which you want to go for as your Linux version of operating system.

I think you are having couple of options from which you can select which to go for as newer user of Linux. You can go for PCLinuxOS 2007 which will help you to shift from windows to Linux other than this you can use Ubuntu and Fedora as your Linux system. Ubuntu is quite fast in all the machines but you need to get used to its interface for better working environment other advantage is that you can try to use both of them before installing on your system by LiveCD using which you don’t have to install them in your machine. After using both you can decide for which you want to go for and select that as your Linux version of operating system.

As you are the new user for Linux operating system i will suggest you to go with easiest and basically used version of Linux a new user can use. Ubuntu and Fedora these are the two Linux versions you can use, but still there are basic difference between both of them. Ububtu has fair sensitivity of the system working with it appears quicker than with the default installation, but not that fast as with one of the performance-optimized systems. Whereas Fedora has satisfactory speed and sensitivity, even though there are no particular optimizations for any desktop or server use. Better you use any of the two before going for any higher version of Linux in your system.