Thread: Linux version for New User

Linux version for New User

I have been using Microsoft Windows 2000 service pack on my system. But now I want to switch to new operating system may be Linux because of less features of XP. I am a new user for using Linux operating system. I want to know which version of Linux would be suitable for my system and what special features are provided by Linux. Is Linux a very good operating system as compared to Microsoft XP.

Re: Linux version for New User

For the new user to the Linux operating system I would suggest Ubuntu 7.10 to install as its operating system. The only difference between both the operating system named Ubuntu and Windows is their way in installing programs are different. Ubuntu is very clean and smooth operating system. It is very good for overcome the freezing problems of your system. Ubuntu operating system is having amazing community.
    Last edited by Elieis; 08-11-2010 at 08:08 AM.

I would suggest you that you should stay away from Ubuntu because it is not good for your system. Instead you can try for PCLinuxos operating system. The installation technique is very simple and it comes with the inbuilt installation of synaptic, multimedia apps/plugins etc. The PCLinuxos offers many different programs such as Gnome, KDE, and OpenBox desktop environments as compared to others. It gave the standard boot option such as failsafe, slowboot, live CD etc.

The PCLinuxos was rebuild on Mandriva Linux 2007 operating system in which new features were added. The PCLinuxos came with new look including built-in 3D effects. A new logo sign was designed and it appeared on the login screen. PCLinuxos is built on and provides features such as kernel 2.6.18.8, KDE 3.5.6, Open Office 2.2.0, Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird 2.0, Ktorrent, Flash, Java JRE, Beryl 3D, a whole bunch of codec and a lot more.

To overcome the drawbacks of PCLinuxos 2007 such as bug fixing, new backgrounds, sounds, start-up screen, and quicker start-up times. It also includes live CD with K Desktop Environment 3 and drop down the compatibility issues. It includes GetOpenOffice that allow user to install OpenOffice 3.1. It also automatically updates several applications installed on your system such as Firefox, Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 etc.

The new version of PCLinuxos Live CD 2010 was released in the month of April. It comes with latest KDE SC 4.4.2 and a new graphical look. It is first version of Linux to include ext4 file system support. It also offers different versions of Xfce, LXDE, Enlightenment, and Openbox as compared to 2008 version. Provides support to Realtek RTL8191SE/RTL8192SE, WiFi cards, Microdia webcams etc. It provides Updated Nvidia (195.36.24) and Ati fglrx (8.723) drivers. Installation of software updates along with security and bug fixing updates.