Thread: Windows version x64 or x32 on iMac

Windows version x64 or x32 on iMac

I am gonna buy a Windows but i have got confused as which version to buy. I will be running an AutoCAD on my iMac usually for which I guess Windows XP would be much better, So I need to do it by using the Bootcamp. I can even install the Windows 7 Professional but still I am afraid to install the x64 bit version on my Mac which might be not be supporting for the same. Please provide some real and useful information which helps me to decide which windows os version shall I install on my iMac?

Re: Windows version x64 or x32 on iMac

I have read some threads on different forum which says that now it is not a problem to run the Windows x64 version on a Mac OS X no matter which windows operating system it is as it supports for the latest one as well which does not leave any question about the XP or Vista. There are many programs as well which helps you to run Windows 7 x64 bit on your iMac. I guess it would be even possible by using the latest version of the Bootcamp.

Dr. V Guest

I think installation of Windows 7 x64 bit is possible, but Boot Camp does not contain 64-bit drivers for the iMac's components that can be installed along with the 64-bit Windows. Actually there is no Boot Camp driver package for x64 bit version. 32-bit Windows version goes smoothly in my experience. Even if the Boot Camp drivers only officially support Vista, I could find in Windows 7 x32 no problems with it. I have used Bootcamp driver package from the snow leopard DVD.

I myself have an iMac 21.5 "and I have installed Windows 7 64bit via Bootcamp on this small mac laptop. The installation worked without problems (just in boot camp setup the Windows format partition). I have installed the Boot Camp drivers from the Leopard CD which works as a perfect driver! Even the Magic Mouse is running, including scrolling. And if it works for me, it should also work with you to Win7 64bit.

If the Bootcamp installed on your iMac is not supporting for the x64 bit version of the Windows 7 then I guess you must be using an older version of the Bootcamp which does not have such support. I suggest you to get the latest version of the Bootcamp on your iMac has perfect support for the x64 bit version as well. Make sure that you have got the proper driver for the same.

The new version 3.1 of Apple's Boot Camp now supports Windows 7 in both 32 - also in the 64-bit version as fully. The new driver package also supports the new Magic Mouse and the current wireless keyboard manufacturer. Support for Windows 7 includes the Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. Other new features of version 3.1 are in the detail. For example, a bug in the control of the trackpad corrected and the LED control of the audio connection has been slightly adjusted. The update to the new version is highly recommended, according to Apple.

Thank you so much guys as I have installed the Windows x64 bit on my iMac but I think I need to uninstall it soon as using this operating system on iMac won't be so useful because it does not have proper drivers for the x64 bit version of Windows 7. Please help me guys...or I just should not use Windows & x64 on this iMac?

I think I have found the solution for you if any hardware on your iMac does not works with an installation of x64 bit Windows 7.
    1) Open the MSI Editor and open the file Bootcamp.msi (Bootcamp64.msi for 64 bit Windows) in which the hard drive copied Boot Camp folder. The file is located in the Apple drivers folder.
    2) Choose the left in the list and select "launch condition" and delete it.
    3) Save the file again.
    4) Go into the folder Boot Camp / Drivers / Apple.
    5a) Take on any exe. Right-click, if a mouse is connected does not have the right click then select the file, click in the Explorer on top of "organizing" and click Properties, then set to "compatibility" and the compatibility mode to Windows Vista.
    5b) If Windows 64 is installed do this bit in the x64 folder.
    6) Now start the setup.exe in the folder Boot Camp (if you previously manually installed drivers already had, I recommend Windows 7 for the first time to re-install).
    7) should now proceed as usual, the Boot Camp setup wizard. Now just keep.
    8) The Windows 7 Beta has a bug which MP3 files damaged beyond repair. So in the end even this patch install.