Thread: Windows XP SP3 not opens Add/Remove Windows Components

Windows XP SP3 not opens Add/Remove Windows Components

My home PC is running with Windows XP service Pack 3 two days before. Yesterday I upgrade it to Service Packs 3. It was updated very perfectly and I got very excited about its extra features. Suddenly I saw an unwanted program that has installed. So I went to Add/Remove Windows Components in the control Panel. When I double clicked on it, it didn’t open instead it shows an error message. Before upgrading to SP3 everything was fine. I don’t know what happened to it now. Anyone knows why and how?

Re: Windows XP SP3 not opens Add/Remove Windows Components

I think you have downloaded the SP3 from the internet. The problems you are facing because of some of the files get corrupted or not saved during the upgrade. If the dll and inf files get corrupted then the windows unable to launch the ADD/ Remove Component process. Find a file which is named as setupqry.dll. If this file is not present, then you have to re-install the Service Pack 3 using the original CD. If still the problem continues then there is something else on the PC that is holding ADD/Remove component program.

Go through the following steps to get rid of the problem.
    • Open My computer> Explore>Tools>Folder Option
    • Select View Tab and select “Show Hidden Files and Folders”
    • Uncheck “Hide protected Operating System Files”
    • Click Apply,Ok
    • Find the file setupqry.inf in C:\Windows\inf folder and Rename it
    • Download the setupqry.inf from internet to the same location ( Do not Overwrite the previous file )
    • Restart the computer and check Add/Remove programs

I don’t know the exact solution for this issue. You need to try several solutions. First of all restart your system in Safe Mode and login it in Administrator Account. Otherwise create a new login account and restart the computer once again. If this didn’t work download the latest version of silverlight for windows. Try to run the app using the Run Option in the Start Menu. To do this go to Start>Run. Type control appwiz.cp in the text box and click OK.

The windows XP you are using right now may be built using the nLite. It removes the pointless windows components and programs to make the XP compact and Speedy. It is not the official supporter of Microsoft Windows. The inf file may be overwritten due to the nLite process. The original file is replaced into the same name file created by the SP3 itself. When you try to open the Add/Remove component the system will search for the missing pieces of those file which is not possible.