Thread: How to transfer files from a mac external hard drive to a windows hard drive

How to transfer files from a mac external hard drive to a windows hard drive

I wanted to take some music files from my friend’s external hard drive. To do that, I connected the external hard drive that was having the music files to my computer. The hard drive was Mac converted. My computer was running the Windows 7 operating system. When I try to access the files from the hard drive then I found that it was not able to read anything that was there in the hard drive. I connected that hard drive to the Macbook Pro and there it was readable. Thai why I could not transfer the files from the Hard drive to my computer.

I think that I am doing something wrong and that is why it is showing the problem with the hard drive. This may be because I bought the China hard drive. It will be great if you pride any information about this. Thank you in advance.

Re: How to transfer files from a mac external hard drive to a windows hard drive

I would like to tell you that in Mac Operating system, NTFS files are readable but it cannot be written. Apple has a service that allows the Windows on Mac to read HFS+ but at this time it also becomes problematic. You will find many drivers that are available on internet that can give it the ability to read and write. Just search for that. Download and install that on your computer. You will find it free and commercial.

Re: How to transfer files from a mac external hard drive to a windows hard drive

Many of the hard drives are connected to the Macs by using the Firewire or USB cable. After you finished with the transfer of the files then you can remove the hard drive from there and copy the data to any other computer. Here are the steps that you have to follow to do that.
    1. First of all you have to attach the power adapter to external hard drive and plug that to standard electrical outlet.
    2. Using Firewire or USB cable, connect external hard drive to your Mac.
    3. Log on to your computer after turning on the external hard drive.
    4. Click on the icon on the Dock to open the new Finder Window.
    5. Under devices, you have to click on the external hard drive. This will be on the left side of the finder window.
    6. After that you will see a new window that contains all the contents of the hard drive.
    7. Drag and drop the files that you want. You will see a progress bar and when it finishes the copying then you can remove the hard drive.

I am also having somewhat similar problem with my hard drive. I wanted to transfer some files from my hard drive to my computer. When I try to do that then it just aborts the transfer process and gives me a message that can not copy files to the computer. I am not able to guess that what is the problem with that and how can I resolve this. When I try to copy files from some other external drive then it get copied easily. Is there anyone who is having the same issue or have any suggestion or solution for this? Please post your suggestion over here so that it can be helpful to me and other users who are surfing for the similar issue.

Have you seen the permission for the files? If that file is protected then you will not be able to copy that in any computer. Enter into the hard drive and right click on that file. Select the properties and this will show you the properties for that file. If it has any such protection then just uncheck that save it. Again try to copy the files and this time it will get copied if that is because of the permission. Good Luck!!!