Thread: Can’t connect Mac OS X and windows 7 in network

Can’t connect Mac OS X and windows 7 in network

I have one mac mini laptop and a desktop. I have a Mac OS X 10.6.4 on mac mini with file sharing turned on and SMB enabled. I use to share date on this machine between mac and computer running windows xp. Recently I purchased a laptop running windows 7 64 bit home premium but the problem is that it is not finding mac mini on network. I try to find solution to this on Internet and found someone tell to change a setting in registry which I did in order to allow access to the directory on mac mini. But I still can not see laptop on my network. If you have any suggestions to this please let me know. Thank you in advance. Your suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: Can’t connect Mac OS X and windows 7 in network

Are you able to connect via command line? If not then try open terminal on mac mini and type ipconfig. If you are using Ethernet then grab the Internet Protocol address for that 192.168.xxxx.xxxx. Remember this is a lan IP and not Internet IP so you will not get it from a website. After this click on windows menu and under search type:cmd and this will open a command prompt. In new window type ping enter IP address. See if you get any reply.

I am having three computers and two of them have windows 7 64 bit installed. And the main computer is having Edimax wireless router. And second computer has edimax wireless USB and I can share files and internet without any trouble. The third computer I have is a macbook and this is connecting fine only to the second computer .The main computer can see the macbook air but macbook air can not see the main computer. Does main computer with the router blocks it or something else may be the problem. But I can connect it to the second computer with the dongle. Can any one provide any help for this problem?

First go to the finder and then Click Go in the menu bar. Connect to server and justType in SMB://<IP address >
    If you are prompted top enter password or user id then provide it as it is for security purpose. It will be simple if you just disable password protected sharing on the Windows Computer.

I have try the procedure you have given and I got access from macbook to my main computer. But there are something I would like to know. Why both computer are not able to see each other automatically as they can see when manually configuring it? When I go to network I can only see my computer and again I do not have idea what is that?

Is there any error message when mac fails to reconnect to windows 7. Based on my knowledge I would suggest you following things:
    1.Go to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
    change the value to “Send LM & NTLM
    2. Go to Computer Management -> System Tool -> Shared Folder - >Sessions to ensure if the session still exists when the problem occurred.
    If this issue is not resolved then you can contact to mac for further assistance.

If you have Ethernet port on your windows computer then try to connect your computer and mac using an Ethernet Cable and if there is no Ethernet port then you can use USB-TO-Ethernet adapter. You are creating an small network by connecting two computers and set up your windows by turning on file sharing. To connect to Windows computer you need to use sidebar in a Finder window. For this you are suppose to know computer’s workgroup name and the network name.
    Procedure To connect your Mac and Windows computers:
    1. From finder choose Go and select “Connect to Server.”
    2. Type the network address for the system in the Server Address field smb://DNSname/sharename(using this format)
    3. Follow then instruction carefully to set up workgroup name , a user name , password and decide the shared folder you desire to access.