Thread: How to see virtual machine from OSX

How to see virtual machine from OSX

I have been using the Mac Leopard in which I installed Windows XP service Pack2 using the Fusion. 2 days before I made the windows update. While updating some of the Microsoft security essentials loaded, installed and did a force reboot. During the Re-boot the Mac suddenly went to sleep without booting the Windows XP properly. There was no command prompt, no keystrokes, only a black screen and safe mode reboot option. Now I want to see the windows directory so that I can copy the important data files. So is there any method to see this Virtual machine.?

Re: How to see virtual machine from OSX

I am very sorry to say that it is actually the OS issue not the Fusion. If the computer is not rebooting and you want to take back important data from it or its HD then try to another create a virtual machine on the same Hard Disk. This procedure follows the same one as you done before. Try this and see whether the mac will reboot or not.

Try to use the windows live CD or the Ubuntu live CD or ISO image to boot the VM. The windows Live CD (may be BartPE or the UBCD versions) will be the easiest and quickest. In case you want to go for the Ubuntu 7.10 it should have a NTFS read and write capability. This live CD enables you to access the directory folder in the Hard Disk and copy its data files.

The system is not rebooting means I think you will not able to recover the Windows XP OS. But by booting from the Ubuntu live may able to recover the data from the file directory. First of all copy the data that you need to pen drive and then install the new virtual machine. After the installation of new virtual machine copy the data from flash to it. Then delete the crashed VM. This will free up your Mac Hard Disk.

There is an option in windows XP cd’s Recovery console. It gives you a command line environment to accomplish some of the task. But I don’t have any idea about what kind of task these may be. If this didn’t work for you then open your computer, remove HDD. Then fix it with external HDD case and connect it to other PC via USB. Like this you can recover all your data safely. But there are small changes you need to do in HDD jumpers so that it can turn from master to slave.